Loud Air Intake Type Sound Under Load Normal??

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've owned 2 XS650s, but it's been over 30 years, and I don't remember what they're supposed to sound like from the rider's perspective. I've only owned this '76 XS650C for just a few weeks, and I'm thinking it will be a minimal "project"to clean up. The bike is totally stock (except for the paint job that will be redone) with only 7,000 miles on it. The previous owner bought it in 1977 with only 700 miles on the clock. The bike appears to be well maintained. It always starts on the first kick, doesn't appear to burn any oil at all, and runs very strong with no backfiring, popping, and no "too loud" mechanical noises. Admittedly, I haven't gone over it yet like I should because I've been concentrating on the front brake performance. And also, I suppose I've been putting it off since it runs so good. :bike:

So now (finally!) here's my question. Do these bikes (1976 or similar specs) normally have a fairly loud intake noise that becomes much more noticeable with increased throttle opening and increased load? This isn't a speedo cable, cam chain, or other type of mechanical noise. It almost overpowers the exhaust noise at speed when opening the throttle under load. I'm hoping that this is normal. I've searched videos to see if I could find a representative sound, as I don't have recording equipment. The following video is the closest I could find, and while perhaps not exact, it best represents the "type" of sound I'm trying to describe. You can hear the whoosh each time he blips the throttle. The bike in the video has no air filters installed at the time, hence the easily heard "whooshing"air. With proper air filters in mine, I don't hear it while just blipping from idle. Also, I should add that I checked all connections for integrity and checked for vacuum leaks using propane.

I apologize for borrowing the video from Youtube. Credit for the video goes to a jfmick. If you're on this board... thank you for the use of your video! So... those of you with stock bikes of that era, is this sound something you would find normal, or something to check out? I can't imagine what it would be besides the air intake.

Thanks!!

That inlet 'whoosh' in the video sounds like mine (also a '71). And I can hear it a little while riding, if opened up WOT. My helmet seems to makes it louder, including all other engine sounds, like it's piped to the area between my knees. Aggravating...

Thank you for the reply. I assume there's nothing wrong, but I thought I'd ask. Coming from a modern bike with more sophisticated sound control, it was a bit of a wake up to be back on vintage iron! :)

Back