Low Fuel Sender Wanted

mrtwowheel

Honda Etched On Brain
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have my mind set on buying a 2 gallon fuel tank. The next order of thought is what petcocks to use. Then I was thinking that with a 2 gallon tank I should have a reserve fuel system so I won't be sitting on the side of the road with no gas because I misjudged how much gas I had. Also, I don't want to be fueling up all of the time from a bad case of paranoia. Also, with reserve petcocks the fuel lines need to have a long gravity assisted run to work quick enough so that I don't end up under that semi-truck that is on my ass. Then, why not have a low fuel light instead of a petcock with reserve?

The fuel tank that I will be using has 3 bung holes. I could use one or two of the bung holes for petcocks and one of the bung holes for threading in a sender.

Does anyone know of a cheap, off the shelf, easy to install (threaded), and safe sender that I could do this with? I have a spare indicator light that I could wire to.

It just makes more sense to me to have a warning light vs petcocks with reserve.

If we can hash this out, I certainly will use it. Perhaps an oil level sender that would work in the fuel tank?

Scott

Last edited:
Do you run a speedo? If so does it have a trip odometer? when you do a fill up reset the trip to zero, if you get 50 mpg then when the odo reads about 75 miles head for the gas station.
Leo

Hi Scott,
what you need is the thermistor low fuel sender out of an XS11Special although it will need a rectangular opening in the tank tunnel to install it.
It does exactly what you said and for the same reason, the XS11 Special has 3 gallon tank and sucks back gas like a drunken sailor.
then scroll down to the XS/XJ 1100 parts for sale column to Andreas Weiss' advert
Andreas is the go-to guy for used XS11 parts and a gentleman to deal with.

I may be onto something, but it seems too good to be true. After some checking and altering I'll post whether or not this works. 3/8" NPT bung hole is what I'm working with.

Scott

After starting this thread I went out to my shed and looked at a '84 Magna that will soon be disappearing on ebay piece by piece (ugliest motor ever built). I found a sensor in the reserve tank. After wiring it in a test circuit I don't think it works. Here is a video showing the part, how it works and how to fix it
The threads have almost identical pitch as 3/8" NPT, but the diameter is just slightly bigger. I will see if my buddy at the hardware store can run a pipe die over it. The height of the thermistor can be easily changed. I may be breaking a bobber rule by letting this part show from under my tank but I think it is really possible to get this sender to easily work with this tank.

Scott

Be prepared to run out of gas/switch to reserve a few times while you figure it out? I'd forgo a gauge all together, I've had a few bikes without one and it wasn't that bad.

Added complexity and lights doesn't seem to fit the idea of a bobber to me... but it's your bike and you should build it how you want.

I'm not looking for a gauge, just three wires a sender and a bulb. I've owned many bikes with reserve and some with a gauge. Instead of a reserve on a small tank I'd like to have a light come on in my speedometer or on my headlight bucket when I have 20-30 miles of fuel left.

Scott

Back