Lucille pulls another one on me....

Since we all appreciate the Yamaha specifications and guidelines you may be interested to know they recommend the oil is changed every 2000 miles - wow!

But we know better now, don't we, lol. Cam chain adjustment was also speced at about 4K intervals. That's too long. I check mine at every oil change, so about every thousand miles.

And speaking of maintenance stuff, Pete, you might want to check the valves a few times in the first thousand miles too. Those new adjuster screws sometimes do some "bedding in".

Yup - I’ll change the oil at about 200 miles and then again before I leave for the VYR event. If anything is coming out in oil, it’s likely there now.

The valves and timing chain - yup - and do it pretty frequently too. It’s a minor task.

Pete

MaxPete, have you read the "User's Guide" for your bike? It has some useful comments regarding rpm limits when breaking in. If you do not have access then I will add a link.

Edit: Should say "Owner's Manual".

Last edited:
The "Owner's Manual for the TX650 contains information on Pages 22 - 23 regarding rpm limits during breaking-in. Here is the link to the xscafedotcom:
https://thexscafedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tx650-owners-manual.pdf
I realize you don't have the TX but the information is the same in my HS Supplement so will apply to Lucille also. They also state the first oil change at 250 miles but I believe that is too long. From general reading I find recommendations from 50 miles upwards with different rational offered.

After my rebore I changed at 150 miles with maximum of 3000 rpm being used and it really needed it. The oil was full of extremely fine metal suspension as expected. I then changed again after another 700 miles with a maximum of 4000 rpm being used and the oil was very clean. Changed after another 850 miles and at this point the engine started to run very nicely up and down the rpm range from 1200 to 5500. So it has taken approximately 2000 miles for the engine to start feeling nice and smooth. I am yet to go beyond 5500rpm but will get there soon.

Off topic...........came across this RD250C,400C, 600C Gauge center console
Graph0202 a.jpg

115 is the theoretical top speed at redline (7500 rpm) in 5th gear for Standard models, not the speed you can expect from the stock machine. With 17/32 sprockets I've had my D model up to an indicated 118 mph briefly with no alarming behavior, and it was still accelerating when I backed off the throttle at redline. But the motor and suspension are a long way from stock.

One nice day I was cruising the Badlands with nothing nowhere and glanced down and noticed the speedo was buried. It only goes to 80 though...

You need a Canadian speedo - they go to 140 MPH - but again, that would only apply if you rode the XS650 off a cliff....or were being towed by a Hayabusa.

Well, my odo since the rebuild was up to about 225 miles this morning so I changed the oil again and tomorrow, I’ll retorque the head again.

The oil came out nice and clean and the sump strainer looked virtually new. So, I cleaned it and plunked it back in. The side filter had a small amount of swarf in it so I simply tossed it (I’ve got a bunch of spares) and refilled the oil. I screwed in a new set of plugs (the old ones looked a tad rich but basically brownish) and then I went for a 50 miler and ahhhhh.....very nice.

Back