Luthor's Build

SolidLex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Earlier this year I acquired an XS650 for $700. It was in horrible condition, and probably was sitting outside in the woods somewhere for many decades. I was completely fine with that, since I wanted a challenge to completely restore the engine, customize the frame, etc. I'll try to post as many pictures as possible of the process. Thanks for taking the time to look. Here it goes...

As you can see, unfortunately I don't own a garage, but I'm not married. That said, I have a nice space in which I have a workbench where I lay the parts and work on them one by one. This is how I got the bike.
4ncm.jpg
[/IMG]

And here's the engine. I spend quite some time scraping caked dirt, spider nests, spiderwebs and all other kinds of shit off this engine before I even started taking it apart.
g3r8.jpg
[/IMG]
34w1.jpg

Guess they off to the powder coaters?!:D

Nothing like a challenge! Looks like you got your work cut out for you!

Good luck and keep us posted!:thumbsup:

Somewhere along the road I changed my mind about the frame after I saw a pic online... I'll post it eventually of what the final goal will be like, with a twist of course. Some of these pictures are just damn scary of what years of neglect do to an engine.

Guess they off to the powder coaters?!:D

Nothing like a challenge! Looks like you got your work cut out for you!

Good luck and keep us posted!:thumbsup:

9fdx.jpg

Had to work on something else while I did the research on the way to split the engine cases. The spokes and rims were beyond saving so I took a set of bolt cutters and kept the hubs.
wiet.jpg

nlbc.jpg

ocix.jpg

fyuh.jpg

Finally split.
bxz1.jpg

More parts to sort, restore, or just hands down replace.
2n4k.jpg

Off to Hugh's Hand Built!
z3i5.jpg

l4mr.jpg

oftf.jpg

If you're not bleeding, you're not trying...
41mc.jpg

6kb.JPG

Mother fucker!!!
shn.JPG

So I got a portable media blaster from HF to start working on some parts, but I was spending too much $ on media since it couldn't be recycled.
r841.jpg

But I was motivated by the results I was getting.
xoee.jpg

Definitely needs to be replaced.
zro4.jpg

Still some room for improvement.
tlfc.jpg

I was initially thinking of going with Monstercraftsman brat style, but I changed my mind after seeing a pic online of a VooDoo Vintage frame and I took the neck tube off the frame and discarded the rest.
ui51.JPG

zom8.jpg

Wow nice and clean! I was so pleased when I got mine back from the blasters!

Just WASH ans WASH and WASH that engine with hot soapy water, then get some compressed air or a steam cleaner and go into ALL the holes, and then WASH again!

That shit goes everywhere. I got about a tablespoon full of sand out of mine after it looked clean!

I washed with soapy water, then rinsed with hot water, then repeated it three times, then steam cleaned the holes, and then hot water and soap again followed by hot water. get the engine dry as soon as you can, and then add a light coat of oil over all the bits that start to flash rust a bit(it rubs off as soon as you add the oil)

Remember the pistons?
9z2g.jpg

The workbench was the best $80 I ever spent.
omkk.jpg

I wasn't happy with the stance on the TC Bros engine stand so I got on eBay and found a guy selling a stand he made, along with an engine case, for $80!!!
6sd.JPG

Damn good find.
p5ur.jpg

Took the original engine cases to get bead blasted, after I paid someone to remove that broken stud. They did an ok job, but the media they used was too aggressive and pitted the aluminum. Damn it.
njg4.jpg

Here they are side by side.
rxjq.jpg

2nm3.jpg

rgxo.jpg

srq3.jpg

I pretty much decided to get a blasting cabinet from HF, the small one, and ran an air hose around my apartment all the way to the balcony. I'm single for a reason. Hehehe
7e1.JPG

u2ba.jpg

l607.jpg

I was not pleased with the company that blasted the cases, and decided to blast the ones I got off eBay inside the blasting cabinet I got from HF. To be honest, it was VERY time consuming, but I was happy with the finish I was getting on some of the parts. I want it to be clean, but I don't want it to be THAT clean. The final finish on the frame and some parts will compliment the finish on the cases and parts that will not be powder coated. Here are the cylinders powder coated in flat black.
ydis.jpg

Here's a better look at how the cases ended up after being blasted by that company.
9a32.jpg

ucaf.jpg

4om4.jpg

No sir. I don't like it.

So I went to work on the other cases and well, you get the idea.
f6k4.jpg

Cases done. I love the reaction on people's faces when they come visit and see this.
5sl7.jpg

Now to follow "Airwolfie" engine build.
6vya.jpg

v889.jpg

I REALLY like the flat black accents. Do you?
a3pl.jpg

vw6e.jpg

wnw9.jpg

eitx.jpg

Goodies!
oeaf.jpg

v7c.JPG

I had the carbs that came with the bike inside a bin with a bunch of other parts that I'm not sure if I'll use or not. They'll probably end up on eBay after being restored so I can get some $ back for more parts. Being poor sucks. LOL
vl9h.jpg

After doing some research, there was just no point in restoring these.
jzr1.jpg

But I got lucky and found a good set of carbs on eBay, and everything I wanted to do to them was already done. Here they are:
4yiz.jpg

0vao.jpg

6sup.jpg

Cases put together!
77ki.jpg

3kkb.jpg

rrti.jpg

Getting there...
k9xj.jpg

spf5.jpg

les.JPG

And yes I know the cylinders are backwards. I was just trying to see how the contrast of powder coated parts goes with the aluminum finish. It's Sunday and there's no point in ordering parts, so a good cup of coffee will be a good finish to posting all these pictures. The reason why the cylinders are not in, is because my dumbass only got TWO piston pin clips... Ugh.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Looking really nice man!! I love how your engine build goes almost exactly in the order I did mine!!:D

I think you are the first one to build off my thread!(well, publically!) Looking great! It put a smile on my face!:thumbsup:

Back