Luthor's Build

No my friend. Glass bead blasting. Even the parts that were powder coated. Those were glass bead blasted before the painting.

I was basking in how clean and insidey everything looks, and then I started wondering if you spray painted everything silver, including inside the motor?

Some stuff I gotta clean/blast...
j376.jpg

And the first of a few goodies came in the mail yesterday...
fk71.JPG

So picking up where I left off... Had to bead blast some parts while I was waiting for USPS to deliver more goodies.
8e4e.jpg

cs29.jpg

I initially wanted to powder coat them flat black but I figured the cover would be enough. I might go with finned covers but I'm not final on that one.
Some stuff from MikesXS came in the mail yesterday such as a new o-ring, copper washer and new spring for the cam chain tensioner. Took everything apart and gave it one final bead blast/clean. Everything laid out before assembly:
nmdl.jpg

I really dig the quality of the stainless stell screw kit I got off eBay. I need to contact them about the breather screws since they sent me the ones for the 2-outlet one. And everything put together:
rz.JPG

I also ordered an 18 tooth front sprocket from MikesXS along with a lock washer and nut:
9gcx.jpg

Put together but I haven't torqued it to specs yet.
bte9.jpg

And the Performance Oil Filter/Cooler kit also arrived with the other stuff from MikesXS. It's pretty much self explanatory on how to put it together. But as you can see in one of the following pictures, the "shiny" doesn't go with the look I'm shooting for on this engine so I gave it a good bead blasting and proceeded to present everything together:
Little gasket goes in:
4ci5.jpg

This "thing" goes next:
c2i.JPG

Then this gasket goes next:
tp75.jpg

And then the filter: (You can see that you need to put the gasket first and then the filter, but I didn't take a pic of that)
igjq.jpg

And the housing: (Before the bead blast)
4l3i.jpg

AFTER the bead blast:
xw8o.jpg

Once I adjust the valves either tonight (depending on work) or tomorrow morning over coffee and good metal music, I'll be able to put the clutch cover together, torque to specs, etc. (Still waiting on the dowel pins that should be arriving any minute now)
nq7.JPG

I just cannot wait to snap a pic once these are on:
dtfe.jpg

This is how it sits for now:
rik1.jpg

I'll be viewing the videos on the following thread to get a better idea on how to properly adjust the valves, etc.:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13083

Just as I finished updating the thread, I got a knock on the door from the mail man. These came in:
e8aa.jpg

So I went right ahead and put them in:
zhbf.jpg

rxfc.jpg

And since I wasn't gonna use a tach, I remember seeing this a long time ago sold at the Monstercraftsman site so I went ahead and picked up one up. The bike will have a lot of brass accents so this has a nice contrast with the raw aluminum & flat black on the crankcase cover:
dzz8.jpg

v5pf.jpg

Thank you Airwolfie!

Looking good Lex!

I went ahead and adjusted the valves last night and slapped the covers on. The front right cover's bottom stud for some reason the nut wont go in all the way so I'm thinking that little stud is bad. Gotta try and chase the thread, and try again, and if not, shit, guess I'll have to try and remove it and hopefully it wont break like the last one. I went ahead and presented the clutch cover to get a better idea of how the paint scheme is looking. Any thoughts?

8ytg.JPG

eg32.jpg

Why is that picture sideways I have no idea. Anyway, tilt your head to the side. LOL I'm trying to find the specs for the oil delivery pipe banjo bolts. I want to get them stainless steel since I read that the ones MikeXS sells are garbabe. Anyone?

Perfect!!! Just enough contrast to accent the different shapes and maintain a flow. It will look great in a frame regardless of the colors you go with, I also love the bead blasted clean look vs. polished myself. I can only imagine how your bike will look with this level of detail. I have the same issue with the bolt on the left side. Strong Work!

That looks awesome Lex! This will look super sweet in ANY frame! Kind of makes me wish I would have done that! I was contemplating two tone of some form! Guees I went with black and gold lol!

Can't wait to see what you do with your bike!:thumbsup:

Thank you for the positive feedback my friend. I was lucky enough to not have to fuck with that damn stud. I've learned from previous accidents that it was better to leave it alone. I didn't like it, but I just put another washer on it. It's still torqued to 7lbs so I'm hoping it won't weep any oil. I think it will be fine. As to frame/colors, I'm still brainstorming on that one until I get the quote from VooDoo Vintage in Austin, TX.

Perfect!!! Just enough contrast to accent the different shapes and maintain a flow. It will look great in a frame regardless of the colors you go with, I also love the bead blasted clean look vs. polished myself. I can only imagine how your bike will look with this level of detail. I have the same issue with the bolt on the left side. Strong Work!

Looking at that engine every day and remembering it used to be a PILE OF SHIT every day, makes me VERY HAPPY.

This thread makes me happy...

Now that you speak of frame my friend... This will be the one I'll be using... What do you think? Still no quote on the frame build since it has some other stuff that'll be on the quote such as gas tank and some welds, etc. Can't rush the artist, you know?
rk4a.jpg

That looks awesome Lex! This will look super sweet in ANY frame! Kind of makes me wish I would have done that! I was contemplating two tone of some form! Guees I went with black and gold lol!

It's a good thing I'm single, otherwise I would've been dumped already, since I spend most of the day brainstorming, detailing little parts such as a small 6mm bolt, to a wheel hub. I can't complain though. Life is too short for you not to do whatever the fuck makes you happy.

Can't wait to see what you do with your bike!:thumbsup:

Still have some ways to go, but in my opinion, I'm way ahead of schedule.

All I can say is wow, one of the nicest builds I've seen in a while, keep up the good work!!!

One thing I should've done, before I even put the media in it, was to put some silicone around every possible crack on that thing. I use it outdoors, and I don't use a vacuum with it, so whatever media lands on the floor, I just sweep it away. I put about 50lbs of fine grit glass beads and I still have PLENTY.

makes me hate myself.. . I Sold my 20lb HF blaster not too long ago.

While doing a bit of pre-gaming at the crib, I did a search on Google for something else, and I ran into this... I seriously, and I mean FUCKING SERIOUSLY, want these wheels. Anyone can point me in the right direction/give me some feedback on how you think it'll look with the frame I'll be getting from VDV??? :yikes:

0n9h.jpg

Thank you Airwolfie!

I went ahead and adjusted the valves last night and slapped the covers on. The front right cover's bottom stud for some reason the nut wont go in all the way so I'm thinking that little stud is bad. Gotta try and chase the thread, and try again, and if not, shit, guess I'll have to try and remove it and hopefully it wont break like the last one. I went ahead and presented the clutch cover to get a better idea of how the paint scheme is looking. Any thoughts?

8ytg.JPG

eg32.jpg

These pictures make me :D knowing that my engine is going to look almost identical to this haha (besides the bottom end not being as clean as yours) It looks great man, good call on getting rid of the chrome finish on that filter housing.

I think it was polished billet aluminum. Took me no time to get rid of it in the blast cabinet. I have the kick start lever submerged in Metal Rescue to get rid of some of the rust on it before I give it a blast. I'm thinking the media might not be strong enough for that rust though. If anything, I'll take it to the shop that does the powder coating for me and have them sand blast it before painting it. It will be flat black as well. No choice there. Definitely can't be chrome.

Now that you speak of frame my friend... This will be the one I'll be using... What do you think? Still no quote on the frame build since it has some other stuff that'll be on the quote such as gas tank and some welds, etc. Can't rush the artist, you know?
rk4a.jpg

I think that frame is bad ass, but I think you most definitely have to step it up on your tank choice, there are very few stock tanks that work well with a high arched backbone... With the right tank though, it'll be downright sexy.

Now I'm on the fence with my motor after looking at your thread, my motor is out of a solid running bike ('83). I feel pretty good that after a new ignition and PMA upgrade, I'll not have any worries. But should I take the time like you did and give the motor a complete disassembly and rebuild? I know it's more time than money... But knowing that I can probably get by with cosmetics and still have a solid engine makes me want to not fool with it, I'm also afraid that if I split the cases I'll not be able to resist sending my crank and cam off for a 277 rephase... :)

I think that frame is bad ass, but I think you most definitely have to step it up on your tank choice, there are very few stock tanks that work well with a high arched backbone... With the right tank though, it'll be downright sexy.

Now I'm on the fence with my motor after looking at your thread, my motor is out of a solid running bike ('83). I feel pretty good that after a new ignition and PMA upgrade, I'll not have any worries. But should I take the time like you did and give the motor a complete disassembly and rebuild? I know it's more time than money... But knowing that I can probably get by with cosmetics and still have a solid engine makes me want to not fool with it, I'm also afraid that if I split the cases I'll not be able to resist sending my crank and cam off for a 277 rephase... :)

If your engine runs well and it's pretty low mileage, and there are no plastic or ally shavings(cam tensioner on its way out) in your filters or oil, I would suggest leaving it as is. PMA and PAMCO upgrades are never a bad thing though!

Give it a good scrub, or even blast and paint it and call it a day.

Only rip into the engine if it is broke! If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!!:D

rk4a.jpg

That frame is so nice! I want that for my next build! I have been toying with that thought since I first saw that frame ages ago!

This will look awesome with your engine! And your OCD build skills will set it apart from everyone else's!!:D

0n9h.jpg
[/QUOTE]

And this is one of my favourite drop seat bikes! Love the steam punk thnig he's got going with that! And those wheels........ I want them too!!!!:yikes:

Back