M-Unit Wiring (Starter)

The hex bolts that attach to engine case should be standard fare local hardware, perhaps 8mm x 35-40mm with 1.25 pitch. The long motor screws IDK, Gary, Jim or 5Twins might.

The hex bolts that attach to engine case should be standard fare local hardware, perhaps 8mm x 35-40mm with 1.25 pitch. The long motor screws IDK, Gary, Jim or 5Twins might.
Ok thank you, this is why I was leaning toward getting a second hand starter from someone or at least the hardware from somebody.

Used originals from known seller is also good;)

Alrighty I have a new starter that runs beautifully, now the next issue is no sparky spark, I seem to have everything wired “correctly” with the power wire from my coils put in the Ignition output on my M-Unit. Any suggestions?

R/W from coils through switch (?) to M-Unit output Ignition and Orange wires to ?

The R/W circuit is also going to the TCI igniter for power, then there's the confusing white with red stripe from pick-up coil to TCI igniter. The original solid red doesn't directly connect to the rest of ignition circuit. Can you draw-up the circuit design you're using?

Screenshot (3).png

Ha! hand-drawn would have been more than adequate. I'll look it over and be back in a bit:D

Ok, I think we got it. Added igniter in parallel on IGN circuit, added brush power from AUX to Reg/Rec in and ground to Reg/Rec in. That should get you sparking and charging.
Cadergray01.png

Post back if not.

Key switch to Lock IN? Kill Switch?

Ok so thank you for the help we now have spark and to answer your questions the M-Unit has a lock that I can control, and the kill switch will be added later on in the build. Now when I had the spark plugs pulled for testing, the starter motor ran great but when I put the plugs back in the starter just free spins inside the housing. I expected a performance drop because of the compression but not a total loss of power. Could something be possibly bound in the starter gears? I pulled the left side cover off to inspect the two gears and they are in great condition, and when I had the gears pulled out I ran the starter just to make sure the starter was spinning and it was. Any thoughts?

The wishbone spring on the bendix gear (aka gear #4) may be too loose. If it can rotate with easy finger pull, it needs retensioned. Lot's of threads in Tech - wants 10# of rotating resistance

Back