MAC performance 2 into 2 Reverse Cone Exhaust Part # MAC -22-Y650B

Superdriver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello. I am considering the purchase of this system from Niche Motorcycle on EBAY for my 1978 XS650. Does anyone have a picture of this system mounted on a XS650. Also, does anyone know how loud the system is and if there are any problems with it. Thanks. P/S, I know its a stupid question but how are the two chrome flanges in the picture mounted into the head. LOL

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 113
  • xs 606.jpg
    xs 606.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
They slip on the down tube and are used with your flanges to get a good tight fit.

Ps.

I got a chrome set I’ll sell you for half the price of those black ones. Brand new. Didnt end up using them.

They slip on the down tube and are used with your flanges to get a good tight fit.

Ps.

I got a chrome set I’ll sell you for half the price of those black ones. Brand new. Didnt end up using them.
Hello. Thanks for the information. I currently have a chrome system on the bike.I wanted to go to Black. Thanks anyways 😊

I am going to purchase the MAC system from Niche Cycle. I hope this system will work. If anyone has any suggestions on proper securing of the megaphones on the right side, I would appreciate your help. This is the look I am going for. Thanks. Bill

Attachments

• Kenny-Roberts-XS650-799x1024.jpg
    Kenny-Roberts-XS650-799x1024.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 96
The pic you posted is likely from '71 (Jim Doyle was wrenching prior to Thuett). Anyway, it appears at that time they just used a "big-ass" hose clamp (like off a diesel air filter) around the megaphones and the rear of the frame cradle. I think, IIRC, Thuett later welded a strap across the back of both megaphones and clamped 'em to the frame. Realize those frame were Champion brand frames, not factory Yamaha.

You can fabricate something to work.

A rubber isolator is a good way to cut down on vibration. I did not know that MAC made a 1/2 mile style of exhaust system for the XS650. The reverse cones may have a mounting tab already welded to them. The Omar`s system is a bolt on but they are always sold out.
pipe hangers 003-001.JPGpipe brackets 004-001.JPG

The pic you posted is likely from '71 (Jim Doyle was wrenching prior to Thuett). Anyway, it appears at that time they just used a "big-ass" hose clamp (like off a diesel air filter) around the megaphones and the rear of the frame cradle. I think, IIRC, Thuett later welded a strap across the back of both megaphones and clamped 'em to the frame. Realize those frame were Champion brand frames, not factory Yamaha.

You can fabricate something to work.
Hello. I've talked to the the people who are selling pipe set and they are not sure if it would work to mount on the right side of the bike. I think it would just be a matter of angling the left side header so it would angle to the right side. I can make hangers for the megaphones no problem. Do you think it is doable. Thanks. Bill

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 105
  • yamaha-xs650-oil-change-512x420.jpg
    yamaha-xs650-oil-change-512x420.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 84
A rubber isolator is a good way to cut down on vibration. I did not know that MAC made a 1/2 mile style of exhaust system for the XS650. The reverse cones may have a mounting tab already welded to them. The Omar`s system is a bolt on but they are always sold out.
View attachment 218909View attachment 218910
Great. Thank you very much. Take care. Bill

View attachment 218909View attachment 218910
I contacted Omars first and was told that they would no longer be selling the systems.. I asked who I could get them from and they would not say. I would love to find out who made them for Omars.

You can not angle the left pipe to exit on the right side. Hoos racing has two different types of pipes that exit on the right side. The ones that are pictured on the red bike might be from Hoos as they have Shell cones. Gunn Design and Jemco also build pipes. This is a set of Hoos racing pipes. I modified the left pipe to bring it in a little closer to the frame. Ascot pipes also exit on the right.
DSCN0849-001.JPG

Yep. The Mac will need extensive fabrication to do the right-side exit. Then you'd have to repaint. Seems like Gary Hoos would be the closest off-the-shelf offering. I believe he offers it in plain steel so you can finish as desired. I've had good luck with PJ1 exhaust paint. DEI makes a good paint too, but instructs to bake it @ 400*.

http://www.hoosracing.com/650750pipesprice.html

You can not angle the left pipe to exit on the right side. Hoos racing has two different types of pipes that exit on the right side. The ones that are pictured on the red bike might be from Hoos as they have Shell cones. Gunn Design and Jemco also build pipes. This is a set of Hoos racing pipes. I modified the left pipe to bring it in a little closer to the frame. Ascot pipes also exit on the right.
View attachment 218926
Thank you very much. I've sent an email to Hoos Racing so I will see what they say.

Yep. The Mac will need extensive fabrication to do the right-side exit. Then you'd have to repaint. Seems like Gary Hoos would be the closest off-the-shelf offering. I believe he offers it in plain steel so you can finish as desired. I've had good luck with PJ1 exhaust paint. DEI makes a good paint too, but instructs to bake it @ 400*.

I've sent an email to Hoos Racing so I will see what they say. Thanks again.

I contacted Gary Hoos and he said that they no longer make the 1/2 mile set up, only the TT set up where the pipes and mufflers run under the center of the bike. He did say that the pipes and mufflers can be set up so they sit on either side of the bike like standard pipes

I contacted Gary Hoos and he said that they no longer make the 1/2 mile set up, only the TT set up where the pipes and mufflers run under the center of the bike. He did say that the pipes and mufflers can be set up so they sit on either side of the bike like standard pipes

I've sent an email to Hoos Racing so I will see what they say. Thanks again.

Thanks. I will definitely get the PJ1 exhaust Paint.

That's a shame as they were a unique, reasonably priced system. As Halfmile mentioned Gunn & Jemco will perhaps make you pipes. I have a set of Gunn Design (attached); top-quality, but expect to pay in excess of $1K. I haven't dealt with Jemco - they have the capability (see website).

Another option is back to the MAC knowing you'll have to re-fabricate the left head pipe: not too difficult given tools and a "builders kit" (that includes pre-bent pipe sections to weld), just make sure the kit pipes are the same diameter.

https://gunndesign.us/#home-section

https://www.jemcoexhaust.com/gallery.html

Attachments

• 20220601_172104.jpg
    20220601_172104.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 73
Back