Magneto swap.

bassgoat1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is my magneto swap. I uses a 3/16" plate cut 5 1/16" OD & 4" ID. It's a modified Banshee stator plate and Flywheel. The stator is from a VF500 that I had to drill a extra mounting hole and cut the front of the plate down a little to make the flywheel clear. Worked out easy and did it all for about $50. The plate was cut with a plasma cutter with a special compass attatchment. i made it outta steel so the threads would be tougher. Turned out nice. I got the VF500 regulator that fits righ were the old one did.

The bike is a now points coverted 1980 (damn it! shoulda got a older one in the first place) Got all the stuff to make it points for $40 with new bushings and condeser. It is going to be a Bratstyle kicker bobber. (I'm in Michigan, no hardtail for me!) I'm cleaning up the frame and parts now and going to get the wheels to powder coat soon here. I will post pics as I go, it should be done this spring.

Does any body know what to do with the two green wires from the regulator? I know the 2 red 7 whites are 12volt hots and back is ground, but there is also two greens on that harness. Just eliminate them?

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 177
- 8 pole...is honda?, probably this...3 white-field, 2 pos, 2 neg, black-voltage sensor

- 8 pole...is honda?, probably this...3 white-field, 2 pos, 2 neg, black-voltage sensor

Yes it's honda VF500 matched set. (stator and regulator)

So the greens would be the negatives? So I should run one Positive for the ignition and the other for lighting? What do I do with voltage sensor?

- the 2 pos could be joined as could the 2 neg
- could simply cap the VS

Tie the 2 red and the black together. If you had turned the stator right you shouldn't have had to drill a hole.

I turned it all around four times and it was slightly off one one hole every time. You may be right, but maybe mine's a differnt year than the other VF500 stators they normaly use. i got tiered of trying all differnt ways and none working so I drilled a hole in 2 minuets at it bolted right up. I even let my friend that gave me the plate try to line it up and he couldn't either. I know what your saying, I've seen pictures of the VF500 stator on the banshee bracket, this one was wierd.

So that little black wire just senses how much voltage is coming out the red/whites? Also I should tie the greens toghether and ground them right?

I'm glad yous guys know your shit! I'm good with eveything on a bike except I can get stuck with wireing sometimes!

I turned it all around four times and it was slightly off one one hole every time. You may be right, but maybe mine's a differnt year than the other VF500 stators they normaly use. i got tiered of trying all differnt ways and none working so I drilled a hole in 2 minuets at it bolted right up. I even let my friend that gave me the plate try to line it up and he couldn't either. I know what your saying, I've seen pictures of the VF500 stator on the banshee bracket, this one was wierd.

So that little black wire just senses how much voltage is coming out the red/whites? Also I should tie the greens toghether and ground them right?

I'm glad yous guys know your shit! I'm good with eveything on a bike except I can get stuck with wireing sometimes!

Lucky for you I used the VF500 Stator reg/rect mix. On mine I have the 2 reds and the black tied together and the greens grounded. I had the same problem with the stator at first. I thought I turned it every which way, but then I took the stator plate off and tried it and for some damned reason it lined up perfectly!

Lucky for you I used the VF500 Stator reg/rect mix. On mine I have the 2 reds and the black tied together and the greens grounded. I had the same problem with the stator at first. I thought I turned it every which way, but then I took the stator plate off and tried it and for some damned reason it lined up perfectly!

Right on. Thanks for the info. I'm sure you are right about the holes, I just got frustrated! It worked though. I'll get it wired today make sure I'm getting spark.

Nice rides by the way! Especialy No.4!

Back