Mailman’s new bike!

Yeah they’re a bit of a pain to access, the heads are tucked up under the gas tank. The tank has to come off and the air box and some emissions hoses have to be moved, but then…..there they are.

Yup, the XS2 is living large on the California coast and my ‘77 will be headed to Minnesota in a few days. Both sold to forum members.

Thanks!

“That being said when are we going to see your next scrambler, tracker, brat, desert sled, cafe racer, drag bike build??
:laugh:
:laugh:

Ummm……:unsure:

Yes and yes. I plan to add a windshield to run during the colder months and then, just what you said. A luggage rack and a bag. The fact that they’ve been making these for so long and have sold so many of these, means that there is a ton of aftermarket stuff for them.
This bike is forsale locally..It shows a healthy aftermarket in accessories..Why you can turn it into a Hardley clone f you so desire...i do like the driving lights...
1652054107090.png

So the old bike never ending Wrenching is over and Bought a bike with perhaps shop service demands.
for warranty --- the hell with the oil leaks routine
And if not ..Wont need much wrenching the first 5 years
Aeehh all these tools and fine garage at home .I give it 2 months maybe 1 if the golf swing sucks.
And TV are only showing wars and famine..
Before triple g Gary starts getting Telephone calls about what is in the pipeline up for sale .
You are right Jan-P I reckon' Bob will have oil up to his elbows in a new restoration build in three months.
He wont want to see his tools not being used thats for sure. :devil:

You are right Jan-P I reckon' Bob will have oil up to his elbows in a new restoration build in three months.
So true, keeping a garage tidy* without any work to muss it up would seem a sterile exercise.

* that's tidy, as in @Mailman tidy

Great looking bike Bob! I keep threatening to buy a newer bike as well. There's a lot to be said for a modern fuel injected bike that starts when its supposed to and doesn't feel like its vibrating apart at 65. That one ought to provide you with many carefree miles.

Wont need much wrenching the first 5 years
Aeehh all these tools and fine garage at home .

So true, keeping a garage tidy* without any work to muss it up would seem a sterile exercise.

I do have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind, that I have spent an awful lot of time and effort setting up this garage, not to mention all the tools that will likely not see much action. Hmmm….I wonder if I could fit an old pickup truck in there? Maybe if I sell the Fiat…..
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Great looking bike Bob! I keep threatening to buy a newer bike as well. There's a lot to be said for a modern fuel injected bike that starts when its supposed to and doesn't feel like its vibrating apart at 65. That one ought to provide you with many carefree miles.

Thanks ! And there it is , I’m pretty sure I won’t have ever have to pull those fuel injectors apart or pull that motor out of the frame or……whatever. I’m just gonna putt around on my George Jetson scooter. Hey, I live in a retirement , golf community. At least it’s cooler than a golf cart ( which is what most of my neighbors are putting around on ). :laugh2:

Bob,
Today I seviced a Boulevard and thought you may be interested in a couple of observations that may apply to your model and may be of some help in the future.
The one today is 7 years old and appears to be well looked after and definitely shedded/garaged.
The chrome plastic is badly pitted even though the rest of the bike is in excellent condition - garaged for sure - maybe something extra you can do to prevent/slow it.
To change the rear tyre I had to release the disc brake carrier/bracket from the swingarm - its bolted through the swingarm (sleeve) and the large 17mm (Head size) bolt was very hard/stiff to get out - on inspection the threaded hole goes all the way through the swing arm and there was rust down the bottom - from water being thrown up into the hole - maybe a bit of CRC up into the hole as routine maintenance - also blue locktite on the threads didnt help.
The rear axle nut size is strange - 32mm spanner too big, 30mm too small - I couldnt find a 31, maybe they dont exist, maybe it would'nt fit either.
The nut was not butchered - I think this is the first new tyre.
Other than these little niggles it was a great bike.
Maybe none of the above apply to your 2022. My comments may give you a look into the future in 7 years.
I have most/all of your stuff saved - your have a go attitude gets me going.
Kind Regards Ray.

Bob,
Today I seviced a Boulevard and thought you may be interested in a couple of observations that may apply to your model and may be of some help in the future.
The one today is 7 years old and appears to be well looked after and definitely shedded/garaged.
The chrome plastic is badly pitted even though the rest of the bike is in excellent condition - garaged for sure - maybe something extra you can do to prevent/slow it.
To change the rear tyre I had to release the disc brake carrier/bracket from the swingarm - its bolted through the swingarm (sleeve) and the large 17mm (Head size) bolt was very hard/stiff to get out - on inspection the threaded hole goes all the way through the swing arm and there was rust down the bottom - from water being thrown up into the hole - maybe a bit of CRC up into the hole as routine maintenance - also blue locktite on the threads didnt help.
The rear axle nut size is strange - 32mm spanner too big, 30mm too small - I couldnt find a 31, maybe they dont exist, maybe it would'nt fit either.
The nut was not butchered - I think this is the first new tyre.
Other than these little niggles it was a great bike.
Maybe none of the above apply to your 2022. My comments may give you a look into the future in 7 years.
I have most/all of your stuff saved - your have a go attitude gets me going.
Kind Regards Ray.

Ray,
Thank you so much for the kind words and the heads up advise on rear wheel removal and care of my plastic chrome parts! My climate here is very warm and dry, and usually corrosion is not too bad of a problem, but a squirt of oil in the right places and a bit of wax on / wax off goes a long way towards keeping a bike in good condition! 🙂
So I take it you are still volunteering your labor in a local bike shop? How’s that going? That actually sounds like fun to me.

Bob - thanks for asking. My volunteer day is not going so good.
The owner/boss got beat to death in a road rage attack about 3 months ago.
His wife is trying hard to make it work but she is closing the bussines on 14th Dec.
The mechanic (Dion) has asked me to follow him where ever he set up a new workshop, but I am going to re-asses where i'm at in the next couple months.
There is around 150 retro bikes, lots of spares, lots of junk, lots of new royal enfields, lots of new accessories, 21 retro bikes on there way from USA (Max bought these before his death) all to be sorted.
The charge has been upgraded to murder - courtcase pending.
Very sad situation.
Regards Ray.
P.S. I only sat on the Boulevard yesterday. It was so comfortable and the handle bars just fell into position. Its like you sit "in" the bike rather than "on" it.
The mechanic said I could take it for a short test ride, but I chickened out. (I'm a bit of a girls blouse !).

His wife is trying hard to make it work but she is closing the bussines on 14th Dec.
The mechanic (Dion) has asked me to follow him where ever he set up a new workshop, but I am going to re-asses where i'm at in the next couple months.
There is around 150 retro bikes, lots of spares, lots of junk, lots of new royal enfields, lots of new accessories, 21 retro bikes on there way from USA (Max bought these before his death) all to be sorted.
Very sad situation.
Regards Ray.
P.S. I only sat on the Boulevard yesterday. It was so comfortable and the handle bars just fell into position. Its like you sit "in" the bike rather than "on" it.
The mechanic said I could take it for a short test ride, but I chickened out. (I'm a bit of a girls blouse !).
Terrible news, and a difficult time for the owners wife and you guys.
I hope the spanner man gets something started in the near future.
And the closure of the dealership goes smoothly.

Very sad situation.
Regards Ray.
Very sad situation.
Regards Ray.

Sorry to hear of this terrible news. The world continues to be crazy at times. Good luck to you and your endeavours.

Back