1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman’s XS2 a full on restoration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mikey

Mikey got muscles in his head that ain't never been used XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Learn something new everyday Thanks

Wulfbyte and Mailman like this.
  2. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    >> My '72 has 2500 cast in on top case...

3. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    >> Ace hardware carries those blue and orange rolo's H.Frieght carries the fakes.. I've had not much luck with any of them..

4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hey there Mailman - I saw your YouTube video of your first ride today!
    She looked and sounded superb!
    Pete

jetmechmarty likes this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hi Pete! Thanks, I appreciate it! I shot that little video today , mostly just to show how it’s running. I never posted it, but I might as well. :D It is its first outing since the rebuild with the new tank.

6. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Sounds good! Looks great!! And look at the way the f*#king kick stand stays down!!! Exceptional!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  7. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    Good morning,

To me, (as well as most beginners and seasoned veterans on this site), You and your motorcycle restoration represent the "perfect" hobby, melding your interest in all things mechanical, the joy of craftsmanship, the satisfaction of collecting, the friends you have met and will meet, the excitement of riding and the value of learning from your mistakes. Deciding where to start (again and again )is the hard part for me.

Well Done,Bob !

Jim, always impressed by your ability to work on almost anything , your precision of detail and commitment are simply legendary. The tank on Mailman's bike is
    a 12 / 10 to me. (as is all of Mailmans's bike and build threads )

When I read the threads on this site ........makes my day 2x better.

8. Mailman

Thank you sir, you are too kind. :)

Grimly, madmax-im, Jim and 2 others like this.
  9. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... Top Contributor

Well said and exactly what I was thinking but couldnt put into words....:cool:

jetmechmarty, Mailman and Jim like this.
  10. Mailman

I had the bike out for a longer jaunt this morning did one hundred miles on the nose! Today’s ride was through farmland. Dead straight roads for as far as the eye can see, alfalfa on one side of the road, corn fields on the other.
    Rode out to the Palo Verde Nuclear power plant and then looped back on a different road. Looked at my speedo just in time to see it roll over 8,000 miles.
    I was thinking last night, my bike was built in 1971, it’s 50 years old this year!
    02ECDAC0-E188-4A12-8876-F5ED9A114FC2.jpeg D46DA771-11B4-4B6F-8840-1F89E9452783.jpeg

11. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Great background for a photoshoot!

12. Mailman

Ha! It was about the only thing I passed today that wasn’t farm fields. :laugh2: It looked just crusty enough to be interesting, not big enough to be a barn. ( Darn it! )

13. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict Top Contributor

Ireland
    GLJ, Mailman and Jim like this.
  14. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... Top Contributor

Bob that pic is cool but its clear your sidestand is very short..To my eye I can see the lean angle and it distorts the image especially the wheels..they appear slightly out of round...is it just me?

Jim and Mailman like this.
  15. Mailman

I think the lens has a bit of a fish eye effect. :)

madmax-im and Jim like this.
  16. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Grimly,
    nah, that nuke plant is in fine shape, it's stealthed to hide it from the eco-Nazis.

Grimly and Mailman like this.