From removing other dust boots; a smooth thin rounded tool/blade worked up from the bottom then around the leg as you lift up on the boot helps get the rubber out of the groove that holds it in place.

Thanks for the info on the 72 Spedo.

Sure, I hope it helps. I saw that you are struggling with an early model, the housing is different on yours, as Gary said it has to be cut open. If you haven’t seen them already there are some good articles in the tech section concerning working on the gauges. Good luck to you! 👍🏻
03416D7E-76B5-47F0-8AF3-224332408913.jpeg

DIAPHRAGM TEST VIDEO

I don’t know what to make of this. I just put my left carburetor together and did a little test slide to check my diaphragm, and I think it looks like the slide is falling too fast. I inspected the diaphragm before when I had everything apart, and I even took it back apart and checked it again. Everything looks good, no holes or any visible damage. Tell me what you think of this, I see no difference when I raise the slide and release it, with or without the vent covered.

Yup, it's broke.

Ha! I had already ordered a replacement and it is now installed. I still can’t figure out how that skinny little choke plunger wound up in there!
I'm reading through some of your old stuff here mailman... makes me feel better about some of the silly stuff I've done as a tech for the dealer world. I find a ton of carbs built wrong. Customers that "had a buddy rebuild it" that now don't run right. Most the time it's a simple jet swap. They often assume they're the same and throw em in haphazardly and cause the main circuit to get no fuel but the idle to 1/4 get tons. I've learned with carbs by now to assume they're always incorrectly assembled. Really interesting that someone thought that tiny plunger would do the trick haha.

I'm reading through some of your old stuff here mailman... makes me feel better about some of the silly stuff I've done as a tech for the dealer world. I find a ton of carbs built wrong. Customers that "had a buddy rebuild it" that now don't run right. Most the time it's a simple jet swap. They often assume they're the same and throw em in haphazardly and cause the main circuit to get no fuel but the idle to 1/4 get tons. I've learned with carbs by now to assume they're always incorrectly assembled. Really interesting that someone thought that tiny plunger would do the trick haha.
Same experience with buying used classics and resurrecting them. Over and over, its the same old thing...finding the sins of the previous owners and correcting them. Its like "What the hell were thinking??!!" moments, over and over.... :umm:

Back