I gotta ask, did you two plan on wearing the same shirt for a shameless plug here???? Lol. Just poking fun. I love reading your updates and following along your builds. Keep at ‘Er !!!

Looks good Bob - nice to see you again and Daniel too!

Check your mail on Monday.....

Pete

Thanks Pete, will do! And once again just let me say how much I appreciate EVERY thing you’ve done for me regarding getting that grab bar for me!

I gotta ask, did you two plan on wearing the same shirt for a shameless plug here???? Lol. Just poking fun. I love reading your updates and following along your builds. Keep at ‘Er !!!

We almost look like we’re in a club or something don’t we? Haha! I guess we were both feeling the spirit of brotherhood today!

It is 108 degrees here today! My garage is actually pretty nice to work in if you get out there early enough.
It is shaded until early afternoon and I’ve got a big old honkin fan running to help. Well that and you know we are practically lizards here in Az! We think any day under 100 degrees is a cool day.

First peek, I have not looked at this engine yet except for under the left side cover, and I can tell you that most of the seals are leaking.
I think my right side intake valve seal is shot, as is just about every single piece of rubber on this bike.
What say ye?
9F1505C3-336C-485E-A064-93F288BC862E.jpeg
A2F0A0FA-A968-4531-97D9-E1F160285A62.jpeg

9F9C80F7-231C-4396-BF50-F386A8B99880.jpeg

E5AB23D7-BFF7-4057-8A12-B471F6030488.jpeg

My wife came out in the garage and she sees the motor up on the bench and she says “Oh.....is that going to be there long?”
Me: Hmmm. Maybe
Her: Are you going to start working on the motor now? “
Me: Hmmm. Maybe
Me: I start talking about seals and gaskets that need to be replaced, and valve guide seals and.....
Her: Eyes glaze over and starts thinking about shoes on sale.

There’s nothing more dangerous than a man with a little bit of ability and big ideas. I’ll keep you posted.
Later, Bob

Hahaha, ROTFLMAO Bob. Well said buddy. And a pretty predictable conversation, likely the way it would have gone for all of us....lol.

Nice job EET and good to see ya in the gang colors!

Ah, let the games begin! :D

Yes, I don't think it looks too bad. I think I'd run it a season or two as is to access what it may need. During that time you can be collecting up needed parts (maybe find good deals on some) for the coming topend job. I think it's inevitable that most of these need this work, if only to replace bad gaskets and seals.

I was really thinking hard about tearing at least the head off and replacing valve guide seals, and all new seals and gaskets from the top of the jugs up and lapping the valves just to kinda freshen things up. But I don’t know man,
The more I look at things, I’m starting to feel like maybe it’s got a year or two in it before I need to start on projects like that. And it would give me some time to acquire some of the necessary tools, of which I have none.
Also I would really like to get a compression reading to see where I’m at. My head gasket shows no leakage at all, most of the oil leaks are gaskets under the motor and the usual seals under the left side cover and the valve Tappet cover gaskets.
I didn’t get much done today but I did pop the valve Tappet covers off for a little look see. I don’t know what I expected to see, but it was spotless inside with fresh clean looking oil clinging to the valve train. No rust, pitting or corrosion, and the cam lobes look just about perfect.
943E0E68-57EE-477A-90D5-2F6B0DBD4F7F.jpeg
02B33BC2-6E84-4BA8-A7E9-7A65DB7D6B82.jpeg
06426B49-6F56-42DC-9D03-5B2968E5E885.jpeg
9CD320AF-A0E9-47EC-9C01-42B9CA4CC4BB.jpeg

The Tappet cover that has the compression release is a surprisingly simple design. I expected to see some complicated contraption. The flat spot on that shaft resides directly above the exhaust Tappet adjuster. When you pull the compression release that shaft rotates and presses that flat spot down on top of the exhaust valve adjuster, opening the exhaust valve.
Simplicity itself!
E6CC18EA-758C-47FE-A566-B10B7E6F3121.jpeg
5276447C-BF2A-46A7-90ED-031A27BD6DC2.jpeg

C689E2FC-424F-4534-9AF1-878CA57CAEAC.jpeg

By the look of the head sealant i would bet someone has been in there. That looks looks like red silicone sealant. Not something I would use. On one lifter i see a blob hanging down just ready to clog something. Maybe someone has replaced the valve seals already. Hard to know.
Do you see any red sealant anywhere else on the engine

Yeah baby - YEAH!!!!!!
Austin_Powers+babes.jpg

....and yup - I'd want to look more carefully at that grey blobby-lookin' thingy in the upper LH quadrant of the first photo - but basically, I'd run it.

Yes, you can clean all that excess sealant off if you like, before it falls off into the engine. I would at least clean it off the valve cover sealing surfaces, including that step into the head the cover lip fits into (1st pic, post 699). I'm not sure exactly when Yamaha came out with their gray colored Yamabond. Maybe 2M can comment on what he's found on his XS1 stuff.

Back