Mailmans XS2 , the rebuild.......again

Not needed if you have a good battery.
Maybe not, but it does have a certain cool factor. :cool:
On my speed twin build the monoshock sits where the battery box used to be. I plan on mounting the battery and much of the electrics down there.

On my speed twin build the monoshock sits where the battery box used to be. I plan on mounting the battery and much of the electrics down there.
That's fine you have a reason to mount a battery there. Sounds like you will only have one.
Question will it be big enough to use the e-start?

In the event you want to eventually go Lithium, I put this really small/light weight lithium Shorai battery in my bobber build. It'll fit the early models easily. 210 CCA. No problems at all going on three years. Needed a really small battery for that build. Will buy this again once my gel battery in my 81 gives up. $140, but well worth it.

In the event you want to eventually go Lithium, I put this really small/light weight lithium Shorai battery in my bobber build. It'll fit the early models easily. 210 CCA. No problems at all going on three years. Needed a really small battery for that build. Will buy this again once my gel battery in my 81 gives up. $140, but well worth it.

Im keeping all options open going forward. Our extreme desert heat has been taking a toll on my batteries. I’ve been paying about $50 a pop. But sometimes getting a year or less out of them!

"I've pondered this before...
There's a dead space underneath the swingarm that's actually quiet roomy. A person could build a box and mount it down there... would be hidden out of sight."

Jim, I've thought about this as well (1 full size battery though). My only concerns were
1) heat from the exhaust
2) road debris
Do you know if the heat from the exhuast would affect the battery at all?
And on the plus side, you move the center of gravity down :)

1) heat from the exhaust
I don't think so. If it was a concern, thin sheet stainless on the sides of the box as a heat shield could be used.
2) road debris
Wouldn't bother a steel box.
And on the plus side, you move the center of gravity down :)
Bingo.
thumbsup.gif

If the heat is getting to your batteries take them out when done riding and put them in the fridge. Your wife won't mind. My friend has the same problem with his bike there.

If the heat is getting to your batteries take them out when done riding and put them in the fridge. Your wife won't mind. My friend has the same problem with his bike there.

Haha! I could sure see the wisdom in that, but selling that one to my wife would be pretty tuff. After I smoked up the house while baking parts in the oven , she banished me from bringing motorcycle parts into her kitchen. :laugh2:
Maybe I need a little dorm room fridge in my garage! :geek:

Are there any photos yet of the Speed Twin build. I’m getting curious.

Back