Mailmans XS2 , the rebuild.......again

While rare, oil inside the starter happens, found it on survivor, a 79 with 10K miles.
Starter sounded kinda liquidy, more like a wash machine than the usual rock crusher concert.
With a bent up cheap 12mm wrench, removal wasn't Bad....
Gary do you have a pic of the bent wrench? I spent too long today removing the left rear starter bolt. I think I was lucky to get it off with the assortment of tools I had available. Will try to replace those bolts with socket head cap screws and see if a ball end hex key can be used to make it easier to re/re

I thought something was wrong in the universe and seeing that small leak proves it

:laugh2:
879422EA-F730-465D-84FA-CA38817522D7.jpeg

Gary do you have a pic of the bent wrench? I spent too long today removing the left rear starter bolt. I think I was lucky to get it off with the assortment of tools I had available. Will try to replace those bolts with socket head cap screws and see if a ball end hex key can be used to make it easier to re/re

It’s just an offset box end wrench, I bought an inexpensive set from Harbor Freight and it makes getting that one starter bolt out easy peasy! ;)
68BFA059-98EF-48CD-8720-124E58A26727.png
38DDF1FE-3362-4199-A551-B83872F179C5.jpeg

It’s just an offset box end wrench, I bought an inexpensive set from Harbor Freight and it makes getting that one starter bolt out easy peasy! ;)
View attachment 205294View attachment 205295
Thanks MM. if that wrench will reach the rear, left motor mount bolt, that’s what I need to get. I have so many diffrent wrenches but dont have deep, offset wrenches. Will soon though. Thanks!

Picture reminds me I need to find that rubber boot for the starter motor wire at the motor.

update: had a look locally for a set of wrenches like this. Snap On had a nice set, but over $450 shipped with tax…. Not going to happen. Harbour freight has the ones you posted as well as their Icon brand. I asked a friend in the US to ship me a set. I think they were $59 plus shipping, exchange and taxes, so landed around $150. Cdn

Last edited:
Funny about batteries, I'm still running the gel one I bought from Mikes XS 11 years ago
Ah, yes! Gel batteries. I know nothing about them. A Gel battery came in my Virago a year and a 1/2 ago. The guy said he just put it in. I'm used to the standard lead acid bats that last maybe 2 years, if babied.
OK, so, how long do they last? Do they crash quickly when dying?
I'm a little perturbed because out on a ride about 50 miles from my house, I stopped at a gas station to adjust something. I got off and left it running and seconds later went to get back on, (and since I'm short and old, I need to step on my peg to get my leg over), the peg snapped off, then my foot kicked the shifter in gear, the bike jumped forward and stalled, but the sidestand pushed up and I went down. I did however go into a nice body roll and popped up on my feet like I meant to do it!
I'm sure I looked like a stupid old man who shouldn't be on a bike! :lmao:
Anyway, I salvaged the peg bolt to rest on something, then staightened the mirrors and patted myself on the back. But when I went to start it, key on -- good. Neutral light on -- good. Hit started button -- not good! No start, then no lights, no nothing. No fuses blown. My onboard voltmeter was at 12.5V, but hit the key then start and it drops.
Now, it's not an XS, and it just happened last night. I just got it off my truck this morning. And I don't expect a lot of solutions, (but I will gladly accept them), I just need to know if these gel batteries die quickly when they're on the edge?

There are no detectable leaks from the battery. I will connect my truck battery to it later today and see if it will spin the starter. So far with a 10A battery charger on it, the starter turned about 2 revolutions. No clicking. Just whir, whir, eeeehhhhh! I miss having a kick starter.

Hope to have my XS back on the rode by September

How is everyone! I would hope you regulars will be at the VYR this year!

No VYR for me this year. 🙁

Check your tip over switch.

AGM (I assume that’s what you’re talking about) batteries behave for me much like a flooded wet cell. They typically last seven years and I rarely charge them. I get warning when they’re failing, typically won’t hold a charge for long.

AGM batteries have a reputation of working fine... until they don't. Good start, good start, then suddenly dead. At least that's been my experience with 'em and if you do a little googling, it appears to be a common theme.

There were a crap ton of flakey Gel cell batteries out there, hope they're better now. I went back to good ole lead acid with perfect success. But I fear they are an endangered species now. Have a lithium on the way for the BM'r We'll see how that goes for me.

V-rod uses one because it goes in forward, just in front of the air clear which is under the faux tank, and it nests between the frame rails behind the steering head at about a 60° angle laid back. A regular lead acid battery would leak most of the electrolyte out.

This battery should be going on 2 years, 3 tops. If I know its gonna sit or be cold, I put a trickle on it. You think there's a tip-over switch in a 96 Virago? Well, I do have one in my shop vac! I'll check the book.
I can't check the Virago forum because they blocked me. I didn't swear at all and I did not talk politics, dammit! They're just douchebags! Oh, so now you're gonna block me!

My guess is the tip caused a fracture internally, or a short during or after the tip wounded a cell or connector.
The lights then dim under load is often a bad cell, they happen.

Last edited:
This battery should be going on 2 years, 3 tops. If I know its gonna sit or be cold, I put a trickle on it. You think there's a tip-over switch in a 96 Virago? Well, I do have one in my shop vac! I'll check the book.
I can't check the Virago forum because they blocked me. I didn't swear at all and I did not talk politics, dammit! They're just douchebags! Oh, so now you're gonna block me!
FB Jail repeat offender here, I think I am going to like you...

Back