Main and Air jets

sdxs2

New to me XS2
Reaction score
So my setup is a 72 XS2 with bS34's from a 1980.
I have no mufflers and XS Performance pods.
1500 elevation
I increased mains two sizes from 132.5 to 137.5 - stock 42.5 pilots - 3 turns out mixture.

My question is do I have to increase the air jets on the back of the carb?

My experience is I get hesitation probably 2500 RPM's or so either I'm not getting enough fuel or something.
Bike starts first kick, and idles good with the stock pilots.

Any thoughts of what is next?

A bike can idle well with the wrong pilots. The true test of whether the pilot size is correct is how the bike responds to throttle and how it transitions from idle into the midrange. Your bike is failing that part of the test. Increasing your pilots a size should help.

The air jet meters air, as it's name implies, so going larger with it will add more air to the pilot circuit and make it leaner - not what you need to do. If anything, you would want to decrease it's size one or two. That would reduce the amount of air being fed into the pilot circuit and richen it. Yes, the air jet is another way to tune the pilot circuit but not too many mess with it. There's usually no need to. Usually just increasing the pilot jet does the trick.

If you find one up on the pilots not enough but 2 up too much then you could try air jet tuning. You should be able to achieve a richness level between two pilot jet sizes this way. If you find one up on the pilots not quite rich enough, reduce the air jet size and it will richen the circuit a little, but not as much as another size up on the pilot. Usually, you play with between one and three sizes smaller than the stock 135.

So I moved the pilot jet up to 45 and basically no change.
I also thought maybe I didn't get a vented gas cap but I did and that isn't the issue.
I have a mikesxs fuel filter that has lots of air and bubbles when I get on the gas, i think mostly vibration and such.
I can't tell if I am starving for fuel or something else is going on? Any thoughts?
I have another set of carbs here, I switched out diaphrams just to try it as the others didn't seem to seal up quite as good.

If there are not more ideas I will try swapping the carb set all together but last time I tried had a hard time getting them in.

Well end of story!
Today I looked into my carbs some more and cleaned up the choke tubes, mixture screws and sprayed out everything one more time.
I read on the forum here about the plug covering the pilot jet, got some from the old set of carbs and wa-laa bike runs great, somewhat rich I think so I took it down to 3 turns and will ride it some more.
Need a mirror put back on and will take her for a longer ride. Made it a mile or two and all seems good!!

Back