making a template for oil change gasket

Smorg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a new owner but not inept on working on 80's bikes.. I had never made a gasket before however. I heard a lot of different ways to do it like using a hammer to tap on the gasket, I saw someone use a photocopier and that's what I was going to do. Unfortunately Walgreens is so effing fancy now you can't just make a copy it wants to turn it into a sized photograph. I didn't want to use the hammer so I just took a piece of paper Really 2 pieces of paper press them very hard against the bottom plate of the oil sunpump. I then cut out the paper in the form of the gasket. The paper is flimsy and I didn't want to use that to actually actually cut the gasket material. So. So I traced the paper onto on to some cardboard I got from the top of a shoebox. My rationale is next time I need a filter I'll have the stiff cardboard from the shoebox in a perfect template the template of what the gasket is all right already to just trace another one. Here's a photo. Oh I should add that i bought an exact knife to do the cutting and i bought a paper punch like what you would lose use for a loosely finder to and there to make the holes I'll post another picture after I've actually cut the Gasket.

Attachments

• 20221028_205530.jpg
    20221028_205530.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 78
use a ball bearing slightly larger than the bolt hole, tap the bearing with the hammer. Dont over hammer on it. put bolts in the holes you've cut to keep everything in alignment.
You can cut the outside directly from the cover. Probably most of the inside also.

I use the handle end of a small screwdriver, lay the gasket paper over the cover, push the end of the screwdriver over one of the holes, spin it around a few times to mark the hole, take the paper off and punch the mark with a wad punch, place the paper over the item again, put a screw through the hole and into the cover hole and using the screwdriver end again, mark another hole diagonally opposite the first. take the paper off and punch out the second hole. Put the paper over the cover and locate it with the two screws. then I go around marking every hole in a similar fashion and punching out the remaining holes with the wad punch.

Once all the holes are punched, I assemble the paper over the cover and locate with screws through every hole, then go around the cover, inner and outer, with the screwdriver end marking the gasket. Then it's just a simple matter of cutting the gasket to shape with a pair of curved cuticle scissors. I've found this is the only way to cut an accurate shape gasket, and more importantly have all the holes in the correct positions.

I've just been using an original gasket as my pattern to trace for a new gasket and then use exacto knife and hole punches and a scissors to make the new one from sheet gasket material

I actually used the photocopy method for a sump gasket - https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-644441

Little curved nail scissors very useful for cutting out and I use a set of leather punches to do the holes. I like the sound of @toglhot's method for getting the holes in the right places.

If you follow the above link, for good measure take a look at the next posting - @Jim gives his easy-peasy grease method.

Once I've made a good gasket, trace it on spare gasket paper ready for next time. The money saved isn't much but you get the gasket right away without waiting a few days for the post, plus lets you kid yourself you're more self-sufficient.

new to my bike. When I bought it A motorcycle shop owner related to the guy I bought it from after his father the owner had passed away had done an oil change on it and I had developed a slow Leak It was making me nervous. Honestly I think they half assed it because I'm quite sure when I changed the oil that the gas get that was stuck On the bike was the original gasket that they didn't get off properly so more work for me. The gasket that I made works perfectly. And for $7 of real gasket material I probably can make at least 5 gaskets compared to $7 each one online and then having to wait for delivery

Last edited:
Be careful on choosing the right thickness gasket paper. Using too thick will distort covers when reassembling. Most on the XS seems to be around .6mm. I wouldn't go any thicker than .6mm.

Back