Making gaskets

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
How do you guys cut out the larger holes in gasket material and what do you lay it on when you use a hole punch
I was just out in the garage making a few gaskets but when I'm using the HF hole punch set they really don't cut so much as make a deep mark in it
I was using OSB underneath it and maybe theres a better material to use underneath it rather than OSB
Maybe a guys got to hit it like 50 times ?
I've a utility knife / Exacto knife / and a really nice paper punch but cutting holes with an Exacto knife is a pain

For gaskets requiring round holes, I use an Allpax AX2000 cutter. It cuts holes up to 6" diameter. It isn't cheap; list is about $159. For fastener holes I use a Harbor Freight punch on a piece of plywood and smack the hammer hard.

Last edited:
For gaskets requiring round holes, I use an Allpax AX2000 cutter. It cuts holes up to 6" diameter. It isn't cheap; list is about $159. For holes I use a Habor Freight punch on a piece of plywood and smack the hammer hard.

It might be the OSB I'm using to wack it into. I've got scrap gasket material Time to whack a little harder

I was thinking of like a nylon or something like it cutting board

Curved blade must a hospital grade scissors

I don't know exactly it can be Nail salon or Seamstress or Industrial .
Hairdressers Hospital.
I have bought them at Garage sales and flea markets. Pharmacy Drug store can have them
As with others scissors there are better and worse quality need to be tight at the Bolt / Rivet holding it together
And sharp
I have all kinds of knife blades but the scissors works better for me. Klinger turquoise gasket material
But at some places a hobby knife is used

Like that

1644627245251.png

It might be the OSB I'm using to wack it into. I've got scrap gasket material Time to whack a little harder
Back in the day when I worked at a company that cut out cardboard with steel rule dies, the dies cut against polyethylene pads.

I've used Felpro rubberized paper. I cut it to rough outside shape and then tape it to the part the gasket is for and use the long triangular x-acto blade to cut the holes using the hole in the part as a combination guide / work support. Comes out smooth. Cut using just downward strokes and use a sharp blade.

I cut my own gaskets for years, don't any more though as it's a little hard with fused fingers. For hole punches use the end grain of a lump of wood and make sure the edges on the punch are nice and sharp. Using plastic or nylon as a backing board will will give you a nice clean
edge but will blunten the edge of hole punches.
For larger holes use a pair of curved cuticle scissors.

shopping.jpg

A one hole punch is perfect for making gasket holes for 6mm bolts. Much faster, easier, and more precise than using a hammer-type punch. Usually less than $2. The throat isn't very deep, but most bolt holes are usually at the edges of gaskets.

View attachment 207217
A one hole punch is perfect for making gasket holes for 6mm bolts. Much faster, easier, and more precise than using a hammer-type punch. Usually less than $2. The throat isn't very deep, but most bolt holes are usually at the edges of gaskets.
Thats basically the same punch I bought from a craft store it works great

View attachment 207217
Looks dangerous -- don't accidentally punch your ticket :)

Looks dangerous -- don't accidentally punch your ticket :)
I used to use one of these when I delivered papers as a kid
We punched a card the customer had each time they paid us weekly?
So technically we were punching a ticket of sorts LOL

like a No. 11 X-acto. It is a nice addition to the tool box even if you're not making gaskets. Take your time, it takes multiple passes to make a clean cut through the material. I cut gaskets on a glass surface.
I don't punch the holes. I put the punch in a drill and spin it, drilling the holes. To me it's cleaner and easier and you will learn to do the holes as the first step.
It's nice to have a drill press, but not necessary. I also drill holes with shell casings in a variety of sizes. I have a friend who re-loads and always has plenty of casings.
As I posted a couple of weeks ago. I back up the "hole" procedure with a pine 2 X 4. Punching the holes has never gone well for me. You can sharpen the punch with a tapered hand reamer.

Back