Making gaskets

Well, fancy that, this afternoon I took the clutch cover off and tore the gasket. Rather than wait a week for one to arrive, I cut one myself. Here's how I get the all important holes in the correct place. I First cut a hole in the gasket paper to fit over one of the hollow dowel pins and placed the gasket paper over that.

I then stretched the gasket paper over the cover nice and flat, removed the second dowel pin from the cover, then placed the rounded handle end of a small screwdriver over the hole and gave it a whack, then removed the gasket paper and punched that hole. Placing the gasket material over the two dowel pins, I made sure the paper was flat then located each 6mm hole, placed the screwdriver handle over each hole in turn and gave it a whack over each hole, then punched the holes out with a hole punch.

The remainder was simple: I placed the gasket paper over the two dowel pins, inserted all the 6mm screws, turned the cover over, ran a fine pencil around the periphery of the cover and then cut around the pencil outline. The inner holes and slots then need to be cut. Again easy as, just place the old gasket over the new one, place the dowel pins and all the screws in 'the holes and mark everything out with a fine pencil and cut out with hole punches and cuticle scissors.

There is one drawback, continually removing and replacing the gasket will fluff up the edges of the holes in the gasket paper, but they will disappear once the gasket is clamped in place.

I use a sharp hole punch on the grain end of a piece wood to punch holes. As long as the hole punch is sharp, it will cut a nice sharp hole. You can use the finished side of the wood, but over time you end up with divets all over the wood and a blunt hole punch.

I use spent shell casings of different calibers on light gaskets and a piece of thick cowhide as a pad to punch into.

Back