Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone made their own cables? Any tips on soldering the ends on? I know you need to use silver solder. I have a 2 into 1 throttle cable for dual mikuni 34mm VM carbs, but I'd like to add 45 degree hard bends to the top of the carbs. I also want to modify the single cable to go into a side-pull motion pro throttle I have and add an in-line adjuster. I have all the parts to do it but haven't attempted it yet because I don't know enough about it. Thanks!

- we used to solder the ends on like this

* Outer, cable, ends, ferrules, adjusters
* tinning flux
* 60/40 or 50/50 bar solder
* Melt solder in a small crucible (eg cast iron ashtray) in a well-ventilated area
* heat until the surface flashes, dont boil
* thread the end on the cable
* spread the end wire a bit to hold solder
* dip in flux
* immerse in solder for about 20 seconds
* shape with a fine file to fit

made extended twin throttle cables when the missus wanted XS special bars on her 535 virago. Cleanliness is the key IMHO, used new inner cable, nipples & outer. Only used a heavy duty electric soldering iron, the strength comes from splaying the cable in the nipple, the solder just holds it all together. Been on her bike for over 2 years with no problems :thumbsup:, tho I was nervous to start with :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the tips guys. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it went.

- found this on my harddrive

Cable1_L.jpg

Cable2_L.jpg

solder_cable1.gif

If we knew where you were mistercartoon, it would help.:confused:
From your post you sound like you might be from the UK
Tell us what country or state your in & someone will help you Im sure :D

I don't know if its a good idea or not... But I've seen guys use a dab of jb weld on the frayed end of the
cable to hold the nipple..

Id come across the flanders site but I cant seem to access the 'cable making supplies' pages part of it...page might be down.
never used the jb weld, not to say it wouldnt work though.
ive always torn up old cables to make what ive need but id like some nice parts for my project this time around.
Ive been informed mikes xs have recently started selling cable fittings & ferroules etc & looks to have a good asortment. beauty!

When my clutch cable broke a month ago I simply went to Lowes and bought a 1/4" cold rolled steel tension pin, cut it in half (length wise), drilled a hole in the open part big enough for my cable to slide into, then brazed it in place with Harris Safety Silv 65 and flux. Did it all on the bike, took about 20mins.

Not sure if this trick will work for what you are doing, but it was a lot easier then some of the other methods suggested.

p!nK

Back