Meet Rex, my new 2022 Road King

Lemmy from Common Tread (Revzilla) recently wrote an article on dying motorcycle forums. It's an interesting read that I mostly agree with.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-are-online-motorcycle-forums-drying-up-and-dying

Smart phones... Photobucket.... social media... all are contributors.

"..... The death of the motorcycle forum is probably like the death of the printed motorcycle magazine. It was mourned by some, but hasn't been replaced because a replacement isn't something most people are asking for. Most people I know seem perfectly happy to get motorcycle memes from Instagram and used bikes from Facebook Marketplace, so perhaps our current social scenario is the most evolved version of how bike chatter and kibitzing with others should take place.

The forum, which was somewhat asynchronous and perhaps more demanding of users' time, whether giving or receiving information, has been supplanted by a much faster mode of communication. Some quality of the exchange probably suffers, but the volume has probably increased by more than the quality of post content has slipped.

Perhaps where we are is exactly where we are supposed to be.

Boog I’ve been a member on the HD forums for years but rarely spend time there. The members are not as friendly however there are several that are very helpful and knowledgeable. I will say you need thicker skin on that forum as it’s a pack mentality when someone asks a dumb question it’s usually a pile-on. Sometimes I find it amusing other times a little embarrassing how grown men act although I’ve seen it a few times in this forum as well.
Totally agree. Although I'm a Harley owner and find most of the Harley owners I know to be great, the forum is full of people that seem to enjoy insulting instead of informing. I rarely go there anymore. If I need a smart assed answer to a serious question, I'll ask a teenager.

sent me a link to a different HD forum (He is the moderator there too) And I have a better feeling about this one. Time will tell of course and like many of you know, each forum has a different vibe.
I am curious to know what you found. I've got an FXD in my stable and have visited a lot of Harley forums. I found the "Harley Tech Talk" forum tolerable and my favorite is the XL Forum where there is a focus on ironheads.

I have been riding Harleys for many years and I’m also not happy with the “trendy” shit. Thus the sticker on my helmet. image.jpg

My comment meant absolutely no disrespect to Boog or anybody of the like. It was a blanket statement from my personal experience as to what the modern era of Harley has become, and by default, the types who tend to spend time on the Harley forums, having experienced it myself. I believe that is why Boog didn’t get a warm welcome or the welcome he was expecting
Old school guys just shake their heads
I have been riding Harleys for many years and I’m also not happy with the “trendy” shit. Thus the sticker on my helmet.View attachment 220665
Awesome!!!

I am curious to know what you found. I've got an FXD in my stable and have visited a lot of Harley forums. I found the "Harley Tech Talk" forum tolerable and my favorite is the XL Forum where there is a focus on ironheads.
I'll let you know if this one pans out. (Not that it is for Pan heads mind ya. See what I did there...)

The death of the motorcycle forum is probably like the death of the printed motorcycle magazine

I remember motorcycle mags from the 70’s and 80’s, the articles were so different then. They use to fill those pages with meaningful content, dyno charts and spec sheets, the road tests were very thorough and sometimes they even stripped the bikes down and photographed technical features. The magazines had useful technical articles on how to rebuild carburetors and brakes and such. Towards the end of my subscriptions the magazines had become very thin with big pretty photos and an accompanying paragraph that was all fluff.
It has been supplanted by a much faster mode of communication. Some quality of the exchange probably suffers, but the volume has probably increased by more than the quality of post content has slipped.

Instagram and Facebook :doh:. I tried them both, years ago and realized I was not their audience. Meaningless , look at me babble. At the risk of sounding like an old fart ( I really am 😄 ) There are so many people today that only want a photo and a headline, they can’t be bothered to read an article.

Apologies to Boog for going off track.

IMHO there is no other forum that compares to this one. Even the forums for interests beside motorcycles I’ve not been very enamored with to a point where I’ve felt like unless you were a regular or had”moderator” next to your handle you were not taken seriously. Case in point, on a forum I was trying out a question was asked by another member. I answered the question with a solution and a source of reference. My reply was pretty much ignored. About 5 posts later the site mod chimed in with pretty much the exact same answer and I swear the other members acted like his answer was the gospel. I pretty much dropped that site after that.

IMHO there is no other forum that compares to this one. Even the forums for interests beside motorcycles I’ve not been very enamored with to a point where I’ve felt like unless you were a regular or had”moderator” next to your handle you were not taken seriously. Case in point, on a forum I was trying out a question was asked by another member. I answered the question with a solution and a source of reference. My reply was pretty much ignored. About 5 posts later the site mod chimed in with pretty much the exact same answer and I swear the other members acted like his answer was the gospel. I pretty much dropped that site after that.
This is the ONLY forum I've found worth going to. I've learned a lot from the members, a lot of it is a little over my head, but eventually I'm hoping the light comes on.

Boog, you bought a lovely bike to suit your needs after much consideration.
Sod the pretentious 'Modern Harley' forum members who are mostly just posers with big wallets.
I'm sure other 'Real' Harley forum members will give good advice even if they are a little minority.
If push comes to shove (as it often did with my mates old shovel head) its just a four stroke engine in a frame with two wheels.
There is more than enough skill and knowledge on this site to help out if needed.
Just enjoy Rex and be healthy & happy.

Last edited:
Gee Marty, Thanks for cheering me up!
Sad but true. The GS Resources has slowed down to a crawl compared to a decade ago. XS11.com, gone. We're getting old man. I heard Stevie Nicks singing Rhiannon on the radio today and realized I was in elementary school when it first hit the airwaves.

Sad but true. The GS Resources has slowed down to a crawl compared to a decade ago. XS11.com, gone. We're getting old man. I heard Stevie Nicks singing Rhiannon on the radio today and realized I was in elementary school when it first hit the airwaves.
I restore cars for a living. One day I was researching material for 1930's Ford and I went to the biggest supplier in the country, LeBonney-Baron. Poof, out of business. Vintage car show, swap meets etc. are like the set of the "Walking Dead". Yeah I get it, I just don't like it.

It's funny that there are bike snobs that only acknowledge their own kind.
I once toured France on a BMW GS; the only bikers that passed and gave a thumbs up were other GS riders.
Totally ignored by other bikers on all other machine makes. And France is generally a bike welcoming country in my experience.

I like the Road King. I’m a fan of Million Dollar Bogan. Many of my friends ride Harleys. I don’t like everyone who rides a Harley. I feel the same about people who drive pickup trucks.

I hope the Road King is good to you @Boog !
I like most Harley riders and pickup drivers, heck I like most people period.

Back