Metal in oil filter

bkellis1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would you do if you saw this? This is the first time getting my 81 started, but after changing the oil filter and listening to the motor (the best I could over the straight pipes) it sounds pretty sloppy. Thinking a rebuild/refresh is in order. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220403_180024.jpg
    20220403_180024.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220403_180041.jpg
    20220403_180041.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20220403_180054.jpg
    20220403_180054.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 101
I have an '81 as well with a similar problem. Cleaned the filter and changed the oil, and putting some miles on it before re-inspecting. Hoping it just requires a few cycles of that to flush out probable years of bad maintenance. If it continues after a couple of oil changes (about 300 miles between checks) I guess I'll have to crack it open. Here is a link to my post with similar pictures and great advice from forum gurus Jim and 5twins.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/time-for-a-top-end.61361/#post-731842

Unless you know the bikes history.... last oil change... how many, if any... it's hard to judge an engines condition from the screens. If that was a hundred miles on the oil, it'd be a bad day.... 5 yrs and 5000 miles.... not so much. If it sounds OK, the best thing to do is clean the screens, put fresh oil in it and see how it looks in 2-300 miles.

Good question. Guess I'll look there next. The drain plugs were pretty gunked up.

Attachments

• 20220326_100512.jpg
    20220326_100512.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220326_100530.jpg
    20220326_100530.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220326_100541.jpg
    20220326_100541.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220326_100647.jpg
    20220326_100647.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220326_100713.jpg
    20220326_100713.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 100
The chain guides have a habit of coming apart, I'd be at least checking them, that debris has to have come from somewhere. But then again, I do like pulling motors apart.

Is the magnet check done on the metal in the filter ?
The plug indicates to me that we are not talking 5Twins oil change intervals here.
If I should guess this is over and finito and that is the position

it sounds pretty sloppy. Thinking a rebuild/refresh is in order.

but if it has been long ago since oil change perhaps there is a small chance
And if the metal is not magnetic.
A video with sound top end and bottom end both sides can help for us to evaluate

Metal bits seem to be metallic

Assuming yo mean magnetic ..If you try to record the sound in the front end close to the engine
Top end .and at the crank end
listening for metallic clonking play it can work none the less . Exhaust sound going backwards
If you can -- do it outdoors so the exhaust sound don't bounce on walls

Yes sorry, magnetic. They sure look like aluminum, so going to scrape everything onto a shop cloth and test with a magnet again to see exactly what's what. More to come. Thanks for everyone's help!

Hopefully this works with the links to YouTube. The first 3 videos are of early startup (video #1) and progresses through warmup with video #3. You can tell as the bike starts to warm up the idle increases. At one point, I have to adjust the idle screw on the carbs to get it to settle down which brings us to video #4 - the popping through the exhaust. I'm only uploading the videos for now and have not dropped the sump filter yet. Waiting to see everyone's thoughts on the videos and whether it sounds sloppy to you or not, but I will be pulling the sump filter over the weekend to continue the investigation.

Forgot to mention that there's something on the exhaust pipe causing the smoke - felt like I needed to be ready with a fire hose to put it out, but I guess it's going to have to just burn off. But man does it stink!!!

Yes I believe it is time for a tear down there is a metallic sound on the left side Possibly in the top end
maybe a cam bearing or so.
With a steel rod held against the ear and to different points on the engine idling --- one can localize the source for the sound

Jetmech had a video of cam chain grinding somewhere here on the site
Can be it ...

there post # 5
https://www.xs650.com/threads/scary-sound-thoughts.60299/#post-704972

Compression test would be a good thing to do --- right side may be leaking given the fire in the exhaust ,but can be other things also.

I dont think you will get very far in current state

Well, I don't think it sounds horribly bad. A proper valve and cam chain adjustment might alleviate that ticking.

Just so you know, straight pipes can be difficult to tune for. The flames in the right pipe may indicate an overly rich mix. It's common for folks to over-jet these carbs. They are the CV type and kind of forgiving. You can over-jet yet the bike will still run somewhat decent. So, I think I'd make the adjustments I mentioned (valves and cam chain) then check the jetting to see just what was put in there. Usually, you don't need any more than a few sizes larger on the mains but many folks often go much more.

Mr 5t has a point there .. Of Course ... It is not wrong to adjust the valve play + cam chain + inspecting the bottom filter se if that helps
before pulling the engine out.
But I would be surprised if not the engine comes out for more work later. Given the metal in the filter . And Sound. .But I have been wrong before so it can happen again.
Taking it step-wise is the right way to do it. And having the adjustments up to spec is of course the first thing to do.
I would wait with the carburetor focusing on the sound.

When doing the valve job one can perhaps se something inside.

Back