Micro digital ignition system help

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 1978 xs650 bobber, has the wiring harness taken out so I can simplify it but I ahevnt done it before and wanting to just have kick start ,headlights,brake lights and a tach, but it also came with a boyer system that os half installed, has the points changed but need to wire in the box but I'm unsure how I'd do that and haven't seen any simplified wiring diagram with the ignition box being used , any help is greatly appreciated

First, welcome to the madhouse. :laugh2:

Have a look in the Tech section... tab at the top of this page. There's two threads there in the Electrical section laying out how to set up the Boyer iggy. Both are well written.

...and here's a diagram specific to the XS650.

Boyer.png

Last edited:
Taking this out of poor memory
Kick start and Boyer work
I am not sure if it can be done without battery
Poor battery and bad grounding are big No No s on Boyer leading to problems.
Boyer Coils needs heat sinks for some versions
So using another coil one that is not designed for the box is something that needs reevaluation I Propably would not do it

Is it the red box?, if so, you need a coil with at least 4 ohms primary resistance. One of those super low resistance coils will draw enough current to cook the box.

If it's a blue box that is the correct coil.

Red box=Micro Digital system, which works best with a 4 to 5 ohm dual tower coil. The MD was not sold with a coil in the kit. I've used both Dyna and Accel coils with that system. Accel was far more durable. If you're looking to lose the battery, consider reinstalling points.

Very early MD boxes were red, but were clearly marked as Micro Power boxes, which require low resistance mini coils.

Red box=Micro Digital system, which works best with a 4 to 5 ohm dual tower coil. The MD was not sold with a coil in the kit. I've used both Dyna and Accel coils with that system. Accel was far more durable. If you're looking to lose the battery, consider reinstalling points.

Very early MD boxes were red, but were clearly marked as Micro Power boxes, which require low resistance mini coils.
I'm fine with having a battery just confused on how to do very simple wiring with this MD system , and the process of cutting down the wires on the harness

I'm fine with having a battery just confused on how to do very simple wiring with this MD system , and the process of cutting down the wires on the harness

I don't think it is possible to cut down on Boyer Wiring ..It can be viewed as a subsystem that one follows every wire and color
Should there be other wires not needed which can be the case .Dont remember exactly. 2 coils and so stock
I would keep them .But if you dont want that .Youll find them sticking out disconnected when the bike is running properly on the Boyer. We dont know if it is a stock wiring now and cutting out things now before can go wrong.Fex it is not uncommon that the wire colors are different than the schematic. After modifications and not having the right color in the shop.

Back