Mikes is out of stock where else to buy tapered roller bearings?

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
Bought a nice complete fork set from a guy last year didnt notice til last week when i was working on switching them with my old crappy bent ones that it came with the tapered roller bearings already installed.. problem is i now need the outer races for the neck. I went to buy the whole kit .. reluctantly.. from mikes but theyre out of stock on them right now. Anyone know where i can get the kit from somewhere else? or does anyone have a set of outer race rings i can buy? I hate that i have to buy the whole kit when the bearings are practically new on the tree.

Any help would be great thanks guys!

Luke

- bearing sizes ... could try at your local bearing dealer
- Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2
- Lower: 30 x 48 x 15

if i'm not mistaken, tapered are usually matched - which is to say, they machine the bearings and races to a certain depth separately, then they match them up for further machining to perfectly match them. The upside of this is that if you use differently matched bearings, you'll have excessive wear, perhaps tight/loose spots, and general dissatisfaction.

hmm but wouldnt the individual bearings still make up the differences in machining? they arent tightly secured inside the races so they can be easily spun. With the bearings themselves floating in the inner races i wouldnt think there would be an issue. i could be wrong though

I dont think matching the cones (bearings) you now have to cups (races) would be a problem unless you were using them where the bearings are spinning at high rpm such as in tapered wheel bearing or transmission applications. Since the upper and lower bearings in the neck turn very little, not even a complete revolution I dont see a problem. There is probably someplace near you that supplies bearings to shops that do standard transmission and rear end rebuilds and they would be able to supply you with just the cups. You may have to do some searching in the yellow pages to find them or just do as yamaman suggested and go to 650 central pay a few extra bucks to get a matching set and be done with it...... BG

Back