Mikes keihin carb kit

He also doesn't mention that most of his problems had to do with his home made mufflers when it was clearly stated from Mike that you needed mufflers with better flow like the Commandos that were used in the Dyno development of the carbs.

You got me Pete. My slides are sticking because of my mufflers.

The tuning issues I can deal with, but a throttle that doesn't return is unacceptable.

OK. I guess I dont get it. If this procedure makes the carbs work perfectly, then why not just pass this on and get off the soap box? Why not get back to me and others and share this information?

I have, several times, but like I also mentioned it is only a temporary fix. The slides are sticking again.

You got me Pete. My slides are sticking because of my mufflers.

The tuning issues I can deal with, but a throttle that doesn't return is unacceptable.

I am referring to the other $550 dollars that you spent getting the carbs tuned to your liking, not the sticking slides which you apparently fixed.

I am referring to the other $550 dollars that you spent getting the carbs tuned to your liking, not the sticking slides which you apparently fixed.

The $600 tally includes the carb kit. It was not my intention to imply that I spent that in addition to the kit. I can see where it could be interpreted that way.

Since you asked, here is the list that I kept;

Carb Kit____299
Springs____8.86
Needles____75.3
Needles____39.31
Jets_______29.19
Cable______70.28
Boots______65.8
Lapping____26.94

Total______614.68

Hey guys,

Sorry for starting a shit storm!

Pamcopete...I completely get your position, and am envious your XS performance carbs are working as advertised. I can only wish I had the same experience. You also seem to have a fair amount of loyalty/affinity towards MikesXS...which I can understand if you knew "Mike."

I can also understand where Mrriggs is coming from...you buy carbs, expecting them to operate as advertised doesn't seem like a crazy request. It clearly looks like something changed in the production of the carb and the same level of QA is just not there (as opposed to when you received your carbs).

The slides sticking is a big deal to me...and a very unnerving feeling when you are on the bike. My first test ride of the project was fairly scary, to say the least, when my bike wouldn't slow down when I let go of the throttle. I even took the bike to a local Jap 70's/80's bike expert who after fiddling with the carbs said I wasted my money.

In short (and solely based on MY experience), I am going to pursue a different route and source another pair of carbs. As someone else pointed out on this forum, these are the most expensive pair of air filters I have EVER purchased! :)

The $600 tally includes the carb kit. It was not my intention to imply that I spent that in addition to the kit. I can see where it could be interpreted that way.

Since you asked, here is the list that I kept;

Carb Kit____299
Springs____8.86
Needles____75.3
Needles____39.31
Jets_______29.19
Cable______70.28
Boots______65.8
Lapping____26.94

Total______614.68

Well, I don't think anyone would go to that effort and spend twice what the product costs to get it to work, all the while posting negative comments about the product without some reason to do so. You could have just returned it.

Well, I don't think anyone would go to that effort and spend twice what the product costs to get it to work, all the while posting negative comments about the product without some reason to do so. You could have just returned it.

To be fair...I was headed down the same road. I already ordered a cable from 650 Central since I read that has some impact on the slides sticking. If that doesn't work, do I keep fighting them, or just abandon all hope in getting them to run properly. It sounds like Mrriggs went down the same road I was headed...so based on his advice, I will head a different direction.

Abandon them - get a set of vm34's & be done with it. Its obvious that these carbs are not real Keihins so why would you even bother - get a set of vm's & some intakes from tc bros, viola - sorted.

Sorry for starting a shit storm!

Don't sweat it. You didn't start anything, this is an old topic. Pete and I have butted heads on this issue but I still respect all that he has done for the XS community. I'm sure if we sat down over a beer we'd get along just fine.

To be fair...I was headed down the same road. I already ordered a cable from 650 Central since I read that has some impact on the slides sticking. If that doesn't work, do I keep fighting them, or just abandon all hope in getting them to run properly. It sounds like Mrriggs went down the same road I was headed...so based on his advice, I will head a different direction.

Bingo! At no one point did I decide that I wanted to shell out $600 for a set of carbs that are't worth half of that. I bought the carbs then had jetting issues. No big deal, that is to be expected when dropping aftermarket carbs on a non-stock engine. Got new jets but the needles were the problem. Bought needles, they were too small, bought more. Then the slide issue started popping up. Tried springs, made it worse. Heck, I've already spent this much, might as well just get a cable for it. Then they will be good to go. Except for the carb boots splitting. Might as well try lapping the slides while I have the carbs off. Hey, that worked, for a little while anyway.

Now I'm contemplating what the next move is. These carbs are so close to being right. Do I spend just a "little more" to get them ironed out, or heed my own advice and ditch them before they are the death of me. :shrug:

Don't sweat it. You didn't start anything, this is an old topic. Pete and I have butted heads on this issue but I still respect all that he has done for the XS community. I'm sure if we sat down over a beer we'd get along just fine.

:shrug:

Ditto on my side as well. mrriggs is a very knowledgeable person about a lot of subjects, especially ignition systems and in fact shared with me some very good graphs relating to ignition coil dynamics in the early days of PAMCO...:thumbsup:

Just spent some time talking to Michael (or MMM or 3M) at 650 Central...WOW...talk about a valuable resource. Michael really seems to know his 650's, and carbs. I ordered his complete Mikuni VM34 kit for $399. Once I get these on the bike, I'll report back.

Michael did say he would be able to jet these according to my bike specs, but was very honest in letting me know that fine-tuning is almost always required.

I just bought a new bike with these carbs on it.
I had read mr.riggs thread:http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6592
and thought i had a way to deal with any and all issues that might crop up with these carbs. I have already gone ahead and ordered the banshee motion throttle and cable. Mine was all a mess from PO and reading mr.riggs thread above thought this would solve most of the issues with sticking slides (I can attest to how dangerous this can be from 1st hand experience!).
Now finding this thread and reading the very recently posts of more agro towards these carbs I am at a loss that I will get them running well being a newbie. Mr.Riggs what is stopping the slides from returning now?
In your thread you:
replace the cable (banshee motion pro)
lap the slides themselves
replace spring with a stronger one
what else could be the culprit?
I bought my new bike thinking that the carbs had been upgraded - what a schmuck : (

hell I don't even know what these nipples at the bottom are for?
IMG-20120317-00033.jpg

are they for connecting a manometer?
for petcock vacuum?

Hi all. I just got my carbs installed and got her started up for a run around the block and noticed fuel was leaking out of a nipple on the float bowl. Looks like an overflow but not sure. Can anyone confirm what these nipples are for and why there would be fuel leaking? Float needs adjusting? see pic

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 224
stuck float

that's an overflow I believe. Mine did it the first time I installed them. Pulled the bowl to make sure it wasn't hung up and then everything was fine.

Mine was leaking like crazy out of the box, sticky slides as well. When they were taken apart the casting was so crappy inside the bowl the float was hanging up on it. Cleaned up and put back on, no more leaky carbs. I still have the slide issue though and I have to manually move my throttle back. Also have issues with the cables pulling once in a while and revving up. I have to reseat them to kick it back down. On the plus side the bike runs awesome once they were tuned in.

Well damn. I pulled the carbs off and tried to remove the float bowl but it seems like it's hung up on something and won't come off easily. I'm afraid to force it. Is there a trick to this or should these bowls just drop right off?

thanks again

Well damn. I pulled the carbs off and tried to remove the float bowl but it seems like it's hung up on something and won't come off easily. I'm afraid to force it. Is there a trick to this or should these bowls just drop right off?

thanks again

Yep what Visimpact says,
I had the same problem, the overflow tube hangs up on the body of the bowl or the float (or both)
Method of removal involves patience and swearing, once the bowl is off the rubber gaskets will swell and distort creating another challenge on re installation

Thanks for the info. Hope I can get that bowl off without damage. What a pain in the ass for brand friggin new carbs! Already had the gasket problem good to know there is a solution for that at least...

Back