Mikes XS Charge PMA fitting issue

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I have a 1981 XS650 special that when I bought it had a charging issue. I spent a bunch of cash and bought a XS Charge PMA system with electronic Ignition (1980-84). I got the PMA installed with a few issues but got it done. So on to the electronic ign .My problem is that the coil they sent will not fit my bike it hits the top tube of the frame when installed on the RH side as factory and would interfere with gas tank mounting if installed on the LH side. So anyone run into this issue and what did you do. It really torques me off when people sell shit that doesn't fit what they advertise. Thank John

Attachments

• IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 179
John, I just stopped by the comp to get a drink. :umm: Anyway, I run mostly stock but I believe you have to make a coil bracket to mount it. Take a
a look here.
Thanks for the info . I went to the post but all the pics are gone.Does anyone have a picture or a little more info on how/where they mounted their coil. On my project It is all original 8200 miles so I want to keep it as stock looking as possible. I am hooking a nice Velorex 562 sidecar to it.

It really torques me off when people sell shit that doesn't fit what they advertise.
Think you are torqued off now wait till one of those Chinese components fail. You spent good money to replace superior systems with inferior systems. You would have been better off to learn, understand, troubleshoot and repair your original stuff. Just my :twocents:

Well to make matters worse I took a lot of time to make a subframe for mounting the sidecar whick is kinda now in the way. They say you can use the stock coil, but wouldn't it be better to use their new coil?
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG

Well after an afternoon making a bracket to mount Mikes universal coil I installed it. Hit the starter and nothing. Tested coil and found low ohms and no voltage on red wire. Reinstalled stock coil hit the button and it fired right up. Just finished sending email to mikes to find out what they are willing to do for credit on coil. I said I would rather have credit on account cause I have lost faith in their quality . I just hope the rest of the XS charge does' t crap out on me. All I can say is never again. John

Back