Mikeys 73 No addiction yet at least nothing a few beers can't cure

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a 73 today from a guy in Minneapolis today
Looks fairly decent it's gonna need a bunch of work but this one will have to sit on the sidelines for awhile
Front brakes don't work / rear sprocket is bad so it needs both sprockets and chain
Tank has some rust so that will need attention and maybe I can get the sticker residue off the tank
It also has a bit of front rake to the forks but what the hell it's all there for the most part
Oh and I forgot to take a picture of the outside rear of the tank ( gggGary told me that that the rear of the tank was prone to leaking in a lot of the 73's ) but it almost looks like a bondo repair (no one would just use a bit of bondo to seal a leak :yikes: (TBD later)
Anyway once again it's beer 30 time to walk away from the shop and garden and enjoy whats left of summer :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_154835427.jpg
    IMG_20210913_154835427.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20210913_154855362.jpg
    IMG_20210913_154855362.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210913_155022786.jpg
    IMG_20210913_155022786.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20210913_154907124.jpg
    IMG_20210913_154907124.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20210913_155041099.jpg
    IMG_20210913_155041099.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20210913_155120933.jpg
    IMG_20210913_155120933.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 148
Yeah. Back then it was extended forks, long handlebars, and maybe a sissy bar. It’s done!
Yah the handle bars are pretty narrow and swept back a tad but there's parts out there to replace them
But I may want a sissy bar to hang my jacket on when it's done
Further down the road for that

need a bunch of work but this one will have to sit on the sidelines for awhile

Oh you say that now, but then that little voice in your head starts whispering to you. :laugh2: Good score Mike, congratulations!
Oh….and two things about this photo,
B4F83A1E-A4F2-48BE-BCF6-2F99A495138B.jpeg
1. Man, now I gotta have me a recliner in my garage!
2. Please tell me you’re gonna keep that velour seat, that’s bad ass! :smoke:

Oh you say that now, but then that little voice in your head starts whispering to you. :laugh2: Good score Mike, congratulations!
Oh….and two things about this photo,
View attachment 198140
2. Please tell me you’re gonna keep that velour seat, that’s bad ass! :smoke:
The recliner came from a grade school friends estate He asked and I sold or gave away everything after he died
And the velour seat it kinda goes with the looks it's kinda chopper

Good score Mikey...........watch that tank though, those 73's with the emblem had a rep for getting holes in them. They changed them to decals half way through the production run
Gary told me about that before I bought the bike it seems like it was a very common problem at least at the back of the tank seem

Really want an old leather armchair in the garage. Used to be people couldn't get rid of 'em. But now I've started looking ain't seen one. At least not for loose change money.

No room in there for an armchair but I want one anyway.

Oh, uh, good luck with the project Mikey.

Really want an old leather armchair in the garage. Used to be people couldn't get rid of 'em. But now I've started looking ain't seen one. At least not for loose change money.

No room in there for an armchair but I want one anyway.

Oh, uh, good luck with the project Mikey.
I gotta sort out the shop a bit before winter
1 or 2 bikes will have to over winter in the stall next door as I let my friend bring his Harley inside for the winter
It's a nice chair and I was just going to give it away with most of my buddy's possessions but then I thought
hey wait a minute I got his tv and now I have a chair to go with it

Yesterdays task hey lets get a title for a bike in MN that doesn't have one at the present time
1st make a reservation :wtf: ok done (when I got there the place was basically empty and any one could just walk in and get helped) Thanks website !!
2nd show up with documentation Bill of sale (yep got it) Statement of facts (yep got it) Application to title /Reg a vehicle (yep both pages)
3rd bring pictures of all 4 sides of the vehicle and a picture of VIN # and engine number(yep got it)
They are then looking at all the documents and pictures when all of a sudden the see the picture of the rear of the bike and :yikes::yikes::yikes:
There's an old MN plate on there from 1996 (I thought they could use the plate # to make the transfer go easier)
" you'll have to have the owner apply for a duplicate title before he can transfer it to you because there is an old plate on it"
Than says I "how's about I make the old picture with the license plate go away and I bring you a photo without the plate on it"
They now say " you can't do that we have already seen the picture of the plate" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I left and was polite as I could be (I had my mask on so they really couldn't exactly hear my mumblings)
I went to the local drug store and had a copy made of the back of the bike minus the plate and went to the city next doors DMV (maybe 2-3 miles)
This time screw the reservation thing I'm going in
The ladies there looked at the documents photos etc. (and it seemed it might go bad)
And said "this looks good :laughing: "
Anyway I paid the fees and applied for collector plates at the same time just under $70 (whole process with everything and everybody only took 5hrs)
IMG_20210913_154818918.jpg
IMG_20210914_125936160.jpg

What a difference 1 photo makes LOL
And the wonder why a guy DRINKS :laughing::laughing:
Mission accomplished rant over Carry on (I'm going to torture weeds in the garden today)

Yesterdays task hey lets get a title for a bike in MN that doesn't have one at the present time
1st make a reservation :wtf: ok done (when I got there the place was basically empty and any one could just walk in and get helped) Thanks website !!
2nd show up with documentation Bill of sale (yep got it) Statement of facts (yep got it) Application to title /Reg a vehicle (yep both pages)
3rd bring pictures of all 4 sides of the vehicle and a picture of VIN # and engine number(yep got it)
They are then looking at all the documents and pictures when all of a sudden the see the picture of the rear of the bike and :yikes::yikes::yikes:
There's an old MN plate on there from 1996 (I thought they could use the plate # to make the transfer go easier)
" you'll have to have the owner apply for a duplicate title before he can transfer it to you because there is an old plate on it"
Than says I "how's about I make the old picture with the license plate go away and I bring you a photo without the plate on it"
They now say " you can't do that we have already seen the picture of the plate" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I left and was polite as I could be (I had my mask on so they really couldn't exactly hear my mumblings)
I went to the local drug store and had a copy made of the back of the bike minus the plate and went to the city next doors DMV (maybe 2-3 miles)
This time screw the reservation thing I'm going in
The ladies there looked at the documents photos etc. (and it seemed it might go bad)
And said "this looks good :laughing: "
Anyway I paid the fees and applied for collector plates at the same time just under $70 (whole process with everything and everybody only took 5hrs)View attachment 198206 View attachment 198207
What a difference 1 photo makes LOL
And the wonder why a guy DRINKS :laughing::laughing:
Mission accomplished rant over Carry on (I'm going to torture weeds in the garden today)

Ah yes, nothing like a day spent at the DMV, bureaucracy at its finest!
89498690-5812-44DC-8B1D-2E564F5FF989.jpeg
But you persevered and found a workaround, congratulations! :thumbsup:

When my son was 19/20 he found he could get a day off of work if he was riding with his boss. Thus the panhead hardtail project began. Swap meets, craigslist etc he had a 57 hardtail/47 panhead (?) springer with apes etc. Got it sorted out and ran 18k mile the next summer. :) But, young and dumb, when registering it the Minnisota DMV needed engine S/N. He realized the cases had been ground down. That is almost 20 years ago and the bike still sits in his shop covered as he doesn't spend much time riding anymore and hasn't figured out how to make it legal or spent the time to do so.

Back