Mikeys 73 No addiction yet at least nothing a few beers can't cure

I've actually been plugging away at this bike again just not posting the progress
The rear turns signals were intermittent so I checked to see what the issue was and found out the guts of the stem were bad (aka the spring and the end that contacts the base of the bulb)
Gary had the guts for a couple and sent them to me for Christmas (Thanks !!)

Then I thought hey good time to torque the head bolts down (note to self when tightening down the bolts on the upper engine mount make sure the wiring harness is out of the way :banghead: )
Before I found I did this suddenly whenever I turned the key on the starter would engage (Hmmm someting new :banghead:)
Evidently when those wires have a chance to get to get together it kicks the starter in)
Time to open up the harness to see what kind of damage I've done
The slickest thing to open the harness with is a sewing seam ripper
One wire almost cut through and one knicked both repaired and now the turn signals work and starter kicks in when asked to

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_150037359_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150037359_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211214_145355961.jpg
    IMG_20211214_145355961.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 74
  • seam ripper.jpg
    seam ripper.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 67
One wire almost cut through and one knicked both repaired and now the turn signals work and starter kicks in when asked to
Cut the wires where the insulation is gone. Repair with naked butt splices and heat shrink. Recover the harness with cohesive tape. It should be better than new!

I've actually been plugging away at this bike again just not posting the progress
The rear turns signals were intermittent so I checked to see what the issue was and found out the guts of the stem were bad (aka the spring and the end that contacts the base of the bulb)
Gary had the guts for a couple and sent them to me for Christmas (Thanks !!)

Then I thought hey good time to torque the head bolts down (note to self when tightening down the bolts on the upper engine mount make sure the wiring harness is out of the way :banghead: )
Before I found I did this suddenly whenever I turned the key on the starter would engage (Hmmm something new :banghead:)
Evidently when those wires have a chance to get to get together it kicks the starter in)
One wire almost cut through and one nicked both repaired and now the turn signals should work and starter kicks in when asked to
When I was checking for other wiring damage, I noticed one of the ground wires from under the coil (not the coil grounds but wires underneath them) one of them was fried from what looked like a long time ago
It didn't do any damage to rest of the harness other than shed some wire casing on a few of the other wires in the harness

Lets see lets go back to the rear turn signals I don't know how they even worked intermittently because neither had a ground to them so I made a little grounding wire to connect to the turn signal stem :cheers: they now work fine

Attachments

• new ground turn signals.jpg
    new ground turn signals.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 62
  • ground burned old.jpg
    ground burned old.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 68
Lets see I needed to tighten up the nuts that hold the speedo to the bucket
If you have a microwave magnet or 2 or 3 put them under the area so when and not if the lock washer or nut fall of while your trying to put it all together the magnets will catch all the parts over and over again
And I did my usual hide a key in the headlight bucket just in case
Lets see the inside and outside of the tank needed attention first the inside was de rusted with Metal Rescue and it turned out great
Next up to remove the old sticker off the tank I tried Goof Off / 3M adhesive remover / kerosene /alcohol nothing touched it
Went to the old use a brand new one sided razor blade and slowly scraped away at it (were talking over an hour) then I hit it with 1000 grit and 2000 grit and then rubbing compound and it came out great ( really wanted to keep the old paint if possible)

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_170540415.jpg
    IMG_20210930_170540415.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210926_152838127.jpg
    IMG_20210926_152838127.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210913_154907124.jpg
    IMG_20210913_154907124.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 74
  • inside of tank.jpg
    inside of tank.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210913_155110356.jpg
    IMG_20210913_155110356.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 76
  • speedomter magnet.jpg
    speedomter magnet.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20211217_151335684_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211217_151335684_MP.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 70
I did a bunch of other minor things to it and I now need to adjust the cam chain guide and check the valve settings to see where they are at
It runs good and the starter sounds better when engaging then my 75 (I'm impressed)
All I want to do is get it all sorted out to sell it this spring
No new tires just make it run good and stop and start ( I rode it for about 30 miles before winter hit and I liked how it ran) the clutch might need new discs cause it seemed to slip a little but I'll go through the adjustments first and open up the case and have a look see
Thats it for now
If I would post more often it wouldn't drag out like this
Signing off
Mikey

Back