Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This as usual will be a slow rehab at best so no need to buckle up on this one
It will start out slow and might peter out all on if's own
Well I just bought another 650 this time an 81
2 studs are missing on the valve cover and when you look in the holes it seems smooth as in no remnants of threads
I can get new OEM studs but they are threaded on both ends
Do you suppose I need to use a bottoming tap and go to the next size up so I can screw new studs in
On my 73 one of the studs was missing prior to me getting it and the PO just screwed a 6mm bolt in it's place and it works fine
The bike is at a friends house for now but I may need to go out there and take a picture of the engine number if the DMV thinks they need it Although the title and sticker on the neck of the bike both have the same VIN

Attachments

• stud diagram.png
    stud diagram.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bolt stud.jpg
    bolt stud.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Would the helicoil go right into the smooth hole (there doesn't seem to be any remnants of threads except maybe the very bottom (it's hard to tell ) and fill in the space and give me new threads again
I'm going to take out a 6mm bolt out there tomorrow or maybe later today to see if there are any threads at the very bottom

My Buddie just called me today and said he swapped out one of the studs still there into the where one was missing and he thinks it's fine
I'll be at his house on Wednesday to go get the bike and I'll have a chance to look at it closer then

I just got back from the DMV and they tell me the motor number doesn't jive with the VIN number so I'll find the frame number to see if it matches up withe engine #
At least they are polite about it :love:

Which cover(s) Mikey? The left exhaust studs are larger than the other 3.
Let me know which and I'll send you a helicoil kit back with the rewound rotor. Just send it back when you're done.
I'll take you up on that if needed thanks !!

Rotor should be ready to ship back in the next day or so. I'll just hold onto it until you give me the word.

I just got back from the DMV and they tell me the motor number doesn't jive with the VIN number so I'll find the frame number to see if it matches up withe engine #
At least they are polite about it :love:

Not sure how it is in MN, in IL the motor numbers mean nothing as far as the title goes. Motors are a replaceable part. The frame numbers have to match the title.

If there are helicoil problems i.e. the hole is wienered out, a Keensert is another option.
1669765530857.png
Remember, there is not a need for a lot of clamping pressure here, just hold the o-ring firmly to the mating surface if your breather is working.

RH exhaust valve cover lower stud is the usual suspect.
it's shorter cuz the exhaust port limits room.
an M6 tap and bottoming tap should be in your tool box anyways, the local auto store has them.
get replacement studs, Use locktite when installing. Use new orings on the covers.

But a Helicoil doesn't take a regular M6 tap, it uses a special Helicoil size one (and they keep that size a closely guarded secret, lol). But you can often find the Helicoil bottoming taps on eBay, that's where I got mine.

Jim - The place I volunteer at has that re-coil set. There is a confusing bit in the instructions - it says after you have inserted the coil, turn the handle 90 degrees to remove the tang, but then goes on to say use the tang breakoff punch thing to remove the tang. Can you explain what its really saying as I would like to buy one of thos kits.
The mechanic at work didnt really know either.
P.S. the owners wife closed the shop yesterday - its now a masive job organising for a auction - you may remember the owner (Max) got murdered in a road rage incident 7 months ago.
Regards - Ray.

Back