Mikuni VM34-588

food

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So, I bought a set of ~2003 Arctic Cat Z 570 carburetors off Ebay for $130CAD shipped. Actually is was $100 but I screwed up and had them shipped to the wrong address and had to have them reshipped.

I figured even if I couldn't get them to work I get some enjoyment of figuring out how something works and then something cool to shine up and mount on my wall.

Also thought I might as well document the differences between the 588 and the standard 275/168 aftermarket carbs here. I don't have a running bike to try them on right now but I will update with how they run later.

On the front the start circuit and main circuit air ports are in roughly the same spot. The other two ports (which I don't know what, maybe someone can fill me in) are blocked by a brass plug and the casting itself respectively. The other thing of note is the huge "tophat" cap. I do not know why it is so tall. We will get to the slide later, but there is nothing I can see that would require it to be like this.

Left side, fuel inlet is in the same spot. The vent port is present but in a different location. Presumably it is moved solely to make room for the big flat area with the two mounting holes. The Arcitic Cat parts diagram call this "Switch, Magnetic Carburetor". Based on the position it looks to be an idle switch. Not of any use to me. You will also note the lack of casting for the "left hand" idle screw. The bowl is also a different shape. I assume this is because of the floats, which we will get to later.

Back side. The port on the left hand side is manifold vacuum port. Comes with a little boot over it. Not sure why they put it there either, Arctic Cat did not seem to do anything with it. Unlike the idle switch, these will actually be useful.

Right side is pretty standard. Vent port from the front view and vacuum port from the back view are visible. Threaded port for standard mixture screw and idle screw. Standard start enrichment boss casting, which is nice. Some of the snowmobile VM34's use a primer instead of start enrichment (choke) and lack this casting feature. There is casting for another blocked port beside the idle screw that I do not know what would be fore, maybe prime, if one were fittted?

View from the bottom with the bowl removed. I don't have another carb to compare with but I think this looks pretty standard. At least the gasket and needle valve look to be the same so a standard rebuilt kit should work fine.

Top view without cap. Nothin exiting here.

The snowmobiles use a choke plunger and cable, rather than a lever. The starter plunger is different and has a little slot for a cable end. It's different than the throttle cable but it looks like I can get the parts to make a choke cable from Flanders. The thread on the plunger cap is M6x0.75 just like the throttle thread and the mixture and idle screws.

Last edited:
Slide is fairly different than standard one. It is marked as "2.5" and I am hoping that translates to the same as standard form as that is the profile I want. Hole for the needle in the middle, threaded hole off to the side. No attachment point for the throttle cable. The thing on the right is called the retainer and screwed into the slide. It is what the cable attaches to.

Top view of the slide, retainer, and spring seat. You can see the slot in the retainer where the cable end would slide in. The spring seat sits overtop and it located by the bore of the slide, locking the cable in. I actually like this setup more than the standard. The black thing you can see is a magnet. It's used with the switch from the previous post to indicate throttle position.

Top view of assembled unit. Overall it's fairly heavy. Not sure if the throttle spring is lighter to compensate or it will just end up being a stuffer pull.

Last edited:
Float is a different setup and I guess why the bowl is bigger and odd shaped. The floats are separate and ride on shafts retained by little plastic caps. I don't know if this will be better/worse, easier/harder to maintain fuel level. Hopefully Arctic Cat has a published spec so I'm not stuck with trial and error.

All the jets appeared to be regular VM34 jets. Stock jetting for the Z 570 is supposed to be MJ: 230, PJ: 40, NJ: P-2, JN: 6DF7. Air Jet is not mentioned in their documentation, and sure enough, there is none present in the carb. It doesn't look like it's even threaded to accept one, which is fine by me. I knew this particular carb had been tuned a little. It came with a P-4 NJ and a 230 Main, both of which are useless to me. The NJ might be usable except I ruined one taking them out...

Left is 480 NJ, right is 159 NJ. I was expecting 159 series needle jets but these carbs actually had 480 series. I thought maybe whoever did the tuning put the wrong NJ in but looking at the Arctic Cat parts diagram it actually shows 480 P-2 as the stock part. This is the first part I have found that does not look to be directly compatible with a standard VM34. As far as I can tell, my 159 P-6 is identical externally to the 480 P-4 with the only exception being the large diameter boss is 2mm in length rather than 1mm. The place with the ultrasonic cleaner also has a lathe so I think I will just get the jet knocked down 1mm and use it instead of ordering a set of 480.

Last edited:
Overall, I think they will work fine and $130 was a pretty good deal. I think the bodies are uglier than the standard ones but I kind of like the weird bowls and tophat caps. Makes for a unique set of carbs. I would like to get some standard carbs one day and play around with swapping parts around.

Back