Miss November XS2 tribute

can be done....

A 79 Special painted t look like a 71..........78SE and 79SF are identical
79 XS 1.JPG

I love my W800 - of all the bikes I've owned, it probably suits my needs and likes better than any other. Leaving aside the XS650,of course, which I haven't even had a chance to ride as yet!

In five years of ownership, we've covered more than 30,000 miles together, despite always having at least one other bike in the garage.

Pete, I wonder where your friend found it - I have been under the impression that W800s are not imported in N America?

Basically, it appears to be roughly equivalent to an updated, big-bore XS650 with EFI and modern electronics. Also of interest is the Royal Enfield 650 twin which seems similar to the Kawi W800 - but is ~ $6-7,000 rather than $10,000 CDN.

$3K is a lotta dough for toys.

We are supposed to be true to the XS but, I can tell you that the new Royal Enfield is a peach of a bike. I tested one recently and I was impressed,” doesn’t take much”. And the price is exceptional, plus in the UK, 3year warranty and breakdown cover.
I think this bike will knock second hand prices a bit, after all who’s going to pay £6000 to £8000 for a 60s British bike when you can have a RE for £5700.
Still love my XS though.

Hi Rasputin, I hang out at a RE, W650 and W800 forum - The Lonely Ones - and a few people are talking about the new RE Interceptor 650.One or two have recently taken possession and we are all agog to hear what they are like. They come at a very tempting price . . .

But I now have my XS650 and associated problems. Why do I never do the things the easy way? Cheers, Raymond

Sump now back from Smedspeed, converted to take screw-on external filter. Here they are in the early morning sun:

PICT1805.JPG

I think this will be a useful modification. Previously fitted a screw-on filter to a 1970 Triumph TR6 I rebuilt. That was held in a sweetcorn tin cable-tied behind the frame tube under the battery box. This will be a neater installation, though the filter on the TR6 did the job fine.

Modern oils with detergents wash the combustion by-products and there's no way the wire tea-strainer in the sump would pick up any of that.

Also in the photo home-made sump gasket. I buy sheets of gasket paper though people tell me you could just as well use the side of a corn flakes packet.

Anyone know how much HP that W800 makes? Can't find HP in any specs, I sure like the style of it. All of the ads and reviews make such a big deal about that badge. Wonder if there's a discount without the badge?

Scott

welcome Raymondo ..looks like you've made an impressive start already.
I like the oil filter conversion a lot and have been intending to get one for some time now. Do you mind me asking how much Howard charges for modifying a sump ? I thought Howard was closing down his XS650 business ? he has been selling off a lot of stuff lately on ebay.
http://www.smedspeed.co.uk

Welcome Raymond...You have a fine example of an XS650. Theres always something that needs attention with bikes of this vintage. Love the simplicity of the parallel twin. Looking forward to your progress and postings here..
By the way the RE Interceptor is just as nice as the W800 which i had no knowledge of prior to this posting..so I have already learned something new..
Will beg your indulgence to post this...
https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/motorcycles/interceptor/

Last edited:
oooh that looks nice, great brochure image too
Interceptors were assembled just down the road to me at Bradford on Avon . The engines were assembled and tested deep underground in a disused stone quarry .
Pity they never put the 800cc into production. The torque on that thing would have pulled a car

Thank you all for your interest. Peanut, I think Smedspeed has changed hands. The contact now is Nick - Enrico Forte - who lives in Kingsteignton, Devon. He charged me £115 for the converted sump, that's on an exchange basis for your old sump, and included one HiFlo filter. I bought an additional filter for another fiver.

Since taking the photo this morning, have fitted and it looks quite neat - the low-profile filter certainly doesn't look out of place or give any ground clearance issues. Unless you live up a very rocky track and regularly bash your sump anyway . . .

I will take a look and see what Smedspeed is selling off, though at this stage of life with an XS I really don't know yet what I might need.

blimey !......of all the places in all the World ............I am going on holiday to Drewsteighnton next Monday , Nick is just down the road from there. I was searching for somewhere to go visit .......now I have somewhere thanks to you. ;) I can get my weekly xs650 fix.

I think you may have missed most of the goodies. There were several engines and crankcases etc .
I just took a look and howardsmed is no longer an ebay user :(

Reading between the lines I think he got some negative feedback and criticism last year and decided to quit altogether ?/ I may be wrong.
Nice helful knowledgeable guy who I think did his thesis on the XS650 engine ? You need to be really thickskinned to use ebay these days . There is such a lot of trash buying and selling on there

Back