Miss November XS2 tribute

Raymond – I have a 77 XS650 with the same rear light, but mounted on the original long stalk Yamaha used back in the day. It's rather ungainly looking.

IMG_9650.jpg

I tried an aftermarket rear light, and although I like the more compact look, with the numberplate further back, it's a little Harley chopper for my liking.

IMG_9657.jpg

Yo look to have used the original light, but mounted directly to a bracket with the numberplate attachment built in. What is this from, as it might be a solution for me. The bit I don't like about the original arrangement isn't the light itself, just the long stalk it's mounted on.

Raymond – I have a 77 XS650 with the same rear light, but mounted on the original long stalk Yamaha used back in the day. It's rather ungainly looking.

View attachment 228393
On my 77 , I also found it awkward looking. My solution was to just drill new holes in the rear fender, moving the stock bracket up/ forward. I ended up with the lip of the fender just barely showing under the license plate ( Norwegian plates seem a bit smaller than yours though)

Hi, @Willholmania, sounds like you approve of the round rear light on Miss November? As @Mailman says helps give the early look but while I've dun the old girl up as a 1972 XS2 tribute, the bike is a 1978 XS-SE Special and AFAIK that will be the usual fitment of rear lamp and number plate holder. The only bit wot I'v changed is replacing square lamp with round.

Hope this earlier picture gives a slightly better idea of the bracket:

PICT2336.JPG

Hi, @Willholmania, sounds like you approve of the round rear light on Miss November? As @Mailman says helps give the early look but while I've dun the old girl up as a 1972 XS2 tribute, the bike is a 1978 XS-SE Special and AFAIK that will be the usual fitment of rear lamp and number plate holder. The only bit wot I'v changed is replacing square lamp with round.

Hope this earlier picture gives a slightly better idea of the bracket:

View attachment 228412
Thanks Raymond. So if I got hold of a SE Special bracket I could fit my lamp to it. That sounds like an even better plan.

1666803105803.png
1666803169037.png

Understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, I definitely prefer the original taillight assembly. Partly because the license plate is HUGE, and the indicators are still big. @Raymond's bike wears a shorter Special fender which changes the look.

1666803609266.png

I think higher placement may be required on the '77 fender. YMMV

One thing to be aware of, if going with my suggestion, i.e drilling new holes in the rear fender/ mudguard:
At the stock location, there is a doubler plate/ reinforcement. When moving the taillight bracket any meaningful amount, there will only be the fender thickness.
My solution was a reasonably big washer/ plate with a piece of approx. 2 mm rubber gasket material between the fender and washer/ plate. This has held up fine so far.

Thanks Raymond. So if I got hold of a SE Special bracket I could fit my lamp to it. That sounds like an even better plan.

Special rear fenders are shorter than the standard fenders. Also where the taillight bracket mounts to the guard , the guard has extra strengthening plate underneath the guard to help stop it, (guard/fender), from cracking from vibration, (common fault). The extra bracing on the standard guard may not cover the whole area that i needed for the early special, (78/79) taillight. Also, with the standard guard being longer, the special taillight mounted at the bottom of the guard, making it sit at the wrong angle and may also vibrate more due to the guard length

For those interested, this happened in September https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-764210

Took the tank to the welder in Galashiels, yesterday went to collect the repair.

PICT0567.JPG

Rob has done a great job, firstly by not blowing up the tank and secondly by making what looks like a good, strong repair. The paint on the tank is totally undamaged.

Next will be to get on with servicing the bike. The tank will go back on with the new tank rubbers from Sumo. Let's hope it doesn't crack again.

Last edited:
Thank you for the sentiment, Bob, but that tank is only three years old. I think replica tanks made in India or China or wherever are made with inferior materials compared with what the musical instrument maker used back in the day?

For those interested, this happened in September https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-764210

Took the tank to the welder in Galashiels, yesterday went to collect the repair.

View attachment 230617

Rob has done a great job, firstly by not blowing up the tank and secondly by making what looks like a good, strong repair. The paint on the tank is totally undamaged.

Next will be to get on with servicing the bike. The tank will go back on with the new tank rubbers from Sumo. Let's hope it doesn't crack again.
Good job well done.

Today, picked up my checklist from 29th September and continued with the service. It's cold and to encourage meself to go and work in the garage I put the convector heater on half-an-hour before. So the bike is now pretty much ready to use, once I put the tank back.

bike is now pretty much ready to use, once I put the tank back.
And today was the day I put the tank and seat back on. Miss November looks like a motorbike again.

As I remarked elsewhere https://www.xs650.com/threads/whats-your-weather-right-now.20388/post-778732 today feels almost like Spring and with that in mind, felt inspired to pull the bike out into the yard and start 'er up. Felt lively from the first kick and roared into life on the third kick.

I know, you're not supposed to keep starting the engine for brief spells through the Winter, does more harm than good and all that. So I let her run for a good while till the engine was good and hot. Seems to respond cleanly to throttle, revs crisply, drops back to a nice idle.

The roads are filthy, slimy and salty - not tempted to go for a run. So that will do until we are ready to go out. Soon hopefully.

OK, Missy has been out for a coupla brief local runs since the Winter lay-off but as I reported felt a bit rough? So after about three days of rain, with the roads a lot cleaner and the Sun out, went to Galashiels shopping. Alright, been there earlier today on the W800 but there's always something you forgot. At last, there is if you want to go some place.

Definitely feeling better with a few miles after waking up. The bike too. Ruder and rougher than the Kawasaki but just love the way this bike feels.

Decided to do sommat about the slight oil leak.

PICT0676.JPG

Been on the forum long enough to know these bikes need the cylinder head nuts nipped up every now and again. Seat, tank and head steady off to gain access, loosen each fastener in turn and re-torque.

PICT0677.JPGPICT0678.JPG

We'll see if that does the trick?

Back