Missouri Title via Declaratory Judgement

Kansas actually does issue titles on ALL vehicles, you just don't have to have a title to get one. If it predates 1985 all you need is a BOS to get a title. We bought my wife's CJ360 without a title, but all it took was a BOS and a $25 inspection to get a title. Now If I sell it, it has a regular KS title. This is all assuming that the VIN does not come back as stolen.
Wanna "buy" a DT250? :sneaky:

I talked to the MO State Troopers about getting a VIN check done before I bought the bike and they told me to do a lookup through NICB. I tried but the VIN did not match their criteria of being 11 to 17 characters long, so then I called NICB directly and they performed the VIN check while I was on the phone with them. Nothing came back as stolen or salvage so I pulled the trigger on buying the bike. I later tried the VIN lookup again and now it shows up on the website with that same information. I took a screenshot of that information and plan to use that as an exhibit in my petition with the court. Can't hurt!

Someday the title mess s.Tate to state will get cleaned up. It’s to everyone’s advantage if they do. For me “losing a title” is BS and I will not touch it. Another tricky one is year of manufa ter versus when titled. Than can cause huge problems with the cops. I almost bought a 69 HD once but vin was fora 70 . No doubt it was titled in 69 but it was a 70. That will get you impounded. I want matching vin, title and bill of sale or no deal.

Someday the title mess s.Tate to state will get cleaned up. It’s to everyone’s advantage if they do. For me “losing a title” is BS and I will not touch it. Another tricky one is year of manufa ter versus when titled. Than can cause huge problems with the cops. I almost bought a 69 HD once but vin was fora 70 . No doubt it was titled in 69 but it was a 70. That will get you impounded. I want matching vin, title and bill of sale or no deal.
Under those circumstances, I understand and agree.

like a 30 second search
https://www.uslegalforms.com/forms/mo-01784bg/complaint-for-a-declaratory-judgment-through-the

Missouri Declaratory Judgment Car Title Form​

1642040988216.png

1642040899916.png

1642041016650.png

You can copy this or go to the site and prolly fill it out and print for a fee.

The Vermont registration deal does work , I have done it 5 times now. The bikes I purchase are usually pretty well used up and a title is the last thing the owner has taken care of. I fix up one bike a year, usually a drop seat bobber or a hardtail. Just something to keep an old man occupied......

tim

I highly recommend talking to your BMV before you go in front of a judge. They were very helpful to me providing the detailed checklist required for this procedure. You know how the bmv can be. One missed step and you have to start all over.

I talked to the local office and they gave me a form that showed what I have (bill of sale) and what I still need (declaratory judgement). I attached that to my petition as one of the exhibits. Court date set for Feb 28. That's going to be a long six weeks 😫
I'll update this thread with the outcome when I have final judgment.

I casually followed this thread. Congratulations. Was the $ modest? Sidebar- It is irritating to have to prove you are in the right when you are in the right.

I paid more to have the sheriff's offices serve papers than I did in court cost. Go figure.
Court filing fees $48.50
Local sheriff's office to serve summons to seller $39.00
Jefferson City's sheriff's office for Dept of Revenue $30.00
Total = $117.50
Bought the bike for $200 I'm not complaining.

Now, I bought it NOT running, but that was a selling point for me - I wanted something new to work on and a project that forced me to learn something new. Definitely got my money's worth there :) And this forum has already proved invaluable in my quest to get it running. Not there yet, but getting closer. Don't want to rush it, otherwise I'll be in search of ANOTHER project and I doubt I'll ever get this lucky again!

I'm happy to report SUCCESS!!! Attaching a PDF with the exact wording I used in my petition. Hope this helps someone in the future.
I was following this while you were in the process, and I have a question. Did you have a summons served on the person you bought the bike from?
I bought from a friend in Iowa, and I'm in Missouri. I really don't want for him to have to travel down here unnecessarily.
Thank you for any help.

Back