MisterP's revival/build thread: 1977 XS650

i've been filling it completely to the neck.

The problem I had the first time around wasn't really with the acid solution. it cleaned the rust out real well. perfectly even. the problem i had was that the por15 tank sealer completely failed to seal the tank, flaking off and falling apart instantly. this left the interior bare and allowed it to flash rust again.

welp, that's another failure. this time catastrophic. it seems the attempts to remove the rust from the tank have resulted in the threads for the petcock holes becoming so deteriorated they've stripped out. ALL FOUR HOLES. it's ruined. i've successfully ruined this gas tank in a very permanent way. the petcocks will never seal now.

the only option is to move on to a new tank now.

oh, i tried that. I was a little too dejected to write out the whole sad story, but i purchased a tap and die set and went oversized on the holes just as you say. they leaked like a mom with triplets. as soon as i tipped the tank over to the end with the petcocks it was like free flowing gas spraying out of both of them. these were totally sealed before i started this adventure.

Rereading your thread. Your stated intentions were to ditch the side covers, airbox, seat, etc to make a Brat bike. Seems at this point just finding a “Special” tank would be a good idea ? They are all over in a small variety of colors. Grey is a preference on the Brats I’ve seen.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

Rereading your thread. Your stated intentions were to ditch the side covers, airbox, seat, etc to make a Brat bike. Seems at this point just finding a “Special” tank would be a good idea ? They are all over in a small variety of colors. Grey is a preference on the Brats I’ve seen.

That's true...i just had this idea where i thought simply cleaning the rust out of the tank and clearcoating the bare metal exterior would be much cheaper than buying a new tank. i was 100% WRONG about that obviously.

Remember that without a fiber washer between the screw head and the petcock, all will leak.
Thanks for that note Lakeview. I don't think there were any when i unbolted the petcocks, or if there were they had completely disintegrated. Is that something you can buy from a typical hardware store or do i have to screw around on partzilla? I'll probably need to know for the new gas tank install.

My apologies, I just didn't see the value in posting pictures of my horribly botched work. maybe it will help somebody else not make the same mistakes, but tbh i don't even know what mistakes i made. i followed every instruction i could find to the letter with regards to the acid process. i can post some pictures of the old tank when i get home today if you prefer.

Last edited:
Do you not already have some from blanking off the petcocks?
Yes, an Auto zone type store would have it. Thickness about shoe box material doubled.

Last edited:
i followed every instruction i could find to the letter with regards to the acid process.
If it helps you feel better, I also experienced “flash rust” using vinegar and was frustrated. After that I used rocks kinda like aquarium rocks only better and solvent and shook the sheyite out of it till the tank was good enough. Doesn’t have to be perfect ..
Any way, seems you are back on track with gaskets too !
And we like all pictures lol ;)
Botched or not, shoot botched is better even like a crashed race car, everybody looks :)
And somebody might have spotted the missing gaskets..,
Keep us on it

A piece of that inner tube you bought will work fine.

FWIW, my bike had a badly rusted tank. Sent it away to a tank restorer - he found it was rusted right through in places and strongly advised against spending any more time and money on it. Thought about s/h tanks but ended up buying a new tank from Heiden Tuning for 260 Euros. Came finished in black, and the price included two new fuel taps and a locking cap. Expensive but I think it was worth it as I now have a clean tank.

Back