Modern bikes. You have one?

That's awesome. I'd love to hear more about this. Was this a practical build or more of a "can I do it, and what will happen" type deal? Either way very interested to hear how it turned out and everything from speed to mileage on it

Thanks for the interest, it was a more learn as I go project. Bike uses 6 12v AGM batteries in series for 72V to power the motor and goes up to 60mph range is pretty low under 15 miles, I have a onboard charger mounted that lets the bike be charged from an AC outlet. I recommend looking up evalbum.com if you guys are interested in more home built ev vehicles and build specs.

Last edited:
My fleet, the newest being a 2020 Tracer GT.
IMG_7255.jpg

Yep - this 2018 Husky 701SM is the newest vehicle of any kind I own.

45F0394D-2AE9-4EB9-87F2-4627B0F61062.jpeg

took this pic quite a while ago, and I have since changed a few things, but it doesn't look remarkably different.

sitting around 80hp now with changes like the airbox (ktm powerparts), fueling (rottweiler dongle), exhaust (Ti + carbon Arrow) SAS delete (yet another thing from rottweiler)

updated the front brake to a brembo stylema monobloc and a brembo rcs15 radial master cylinder. contemplating an ABS delete but it's a huge PITA.

updated the clutch master to a brembo rcs14 radial master, fren tubo line, and rekluse slave cylinder.

updated the shift arm internally to fix false neutrals shifting from 5th to 6th -- very annoying and dangerous!

updated the cam chain tensioner to one that dirt tricks makes ... helps a lot with top end clatter

got a scott's damper and vanasche submount riser, as well as pro taper bars. vanasche fuel filler and front sprocket guard, DID x-ring chain, and dirt tricks ironman sprockets front and rear. also did an r&g tidy tail, along with rizoma signals f/r. oh - and a dry carbon exhaust guard from the Husky accessory catalog.

holy crap, I guess I've put a lot into this thing since i bought it bone stock with 1,500 miles just under 2 years ago, but it's the best motorcycle of any kind I've ever owned and I hope to ride it into the ground. it replaced a very nicely kitted out and hopped up 2008 XR650L I built, but that thing doesn't even hold a candle to the 701, even with nearly everything about it upgraded.

5E59EAD9-E788-4BA9-8231-070343CE6959.jpeg

I used to have a ktm 690 smc r. Loved the bike but for me there was just no "putt around and cruise" it was "rip that crest! Get some air!" And with a newborn, I couldn't keep it around unfortunately. Also, I wanted to upgrade the stock seat to a 2x4 for extra comfort. Fun bike for someone much more responsible than I. That motor is a gem, honestly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-174138_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-174138_Photos.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 109
I used to have a ktm 690 smc r. Loved the bike but for me there was just no "putt around and cruise" it was "rip that crest! Get some air!"

Know just what you mean. Used to have KTM 660SMC, the kick-start only lightweight model. Akrapovic exhaust. No such thing as going out for a gentle blat, it only seemed to understand going for it.

NEW ARRIVAL TO THE FLEET!

This arrived at my shop this week....Whoopee!
2006 SUZUKI 1200 BANDIT 15k Miles Taxed & MOT'd
IMG_1222.JPEG IMG_1224.JPEG
My Missus wasn't happy that the Welsh Flat Tracker only had one seat (I was delighted of course!!).
So I was chattin' to the mechanic across the road who does my car & truck MOT's about it, and he mentioned he had the Bandit; but rarely used it.
He offered to let me use it whenever I want and keep it at my shop; whats not to like.
He then ordered a new leather reclining sofa from me.....Can you see where this is going?
SOFA 1.jpg
We delivered the sofa to his home and he owes me £2500.00
I suggested an exchange deal Bike = Sofa; so he's contemplating the offer as I type.

Not exactly a 'new' bike; it runs and rides great, but carbs need a tickle to rid a bit of fluffiness mid throttle.
The Bandit does need a good clean and casings need polishing, but should come up like new with a little elbow grease.

I let you know what turns out....:devil:

Them Bandit 1200s are Great machines. Like most Suzukis they need a few details massaged (corrected) for long term happiness.
Stole a 2001 but let it go when a decent offer came along (I could write a book)
bandit cleaned up.jpg

That fine fins 4 has stayed on my "prettiest motors" list, reminds me of aviation. I haven't done a parts comparison to know for sure the 06 has the same issues but prolly. LOL There was some issue with the 99-02 that got corrected in 03 and up machines.
So the short list; the petcock is a POS and there is no functioning back brake. The no back brake is a Suzuki thing and the petcock is plain old cost cutting.
The ad I bought it from
"2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200s in near-perfect condition for sale. Always stored in a garage, never outside. Very low mileage, but will need carb cleaning (not currently running), new tires, maybe a battery. Asking $500 OBO. Please call with any questions or offers:"
Had to really debate if it was a scam But I was first to call and it was legitimate!

Last edited:
$500 !!! OBO? Man you did steal that bike! :laugh2: Some day I’ll have to teach you my secrets on how to over pay for every bike I ever bought and then lose your ass when you sell it, I could write a book! :lmao:
With you there Bob, I'm in the same club: Buy High, Sell Low....Dhuh!!:banghead:

Modern motorcycles. I bought one with EFI and ECU engine, a 2011 with 6535 miles on it. The first owner put an Indianhead light on the front fender and wired it up and changed the oil a few times and sold it after about 3000 miles. The second owner was riding it when it shorted out, took it to Pandora Motorcycles and discovered the wiring was fried from the PO's home electrical addition. Pandora charged the second owner 350 dollars to fix the electrical system, getting everything right but the gas light indicator, which remains on full time. The 2nd PO also changed oil and put a new tire on the front, and then bought a Honda Rebel 500. His wife didn't want the RE so he put it up for sale. The price was already good but due to the need for a new battery and tires he subtracted 100 dollars, and I brought it home. It had new saddle bags on it too. I have put about 380 miles on it since March of 2020, new tires and battery, which I bring inside after every outing. It is a nice 'tommyknocker' that is stylish enough to receive compliments wherever I go (not too far) and just a good backroad cruiser. I plan on keeping it while I learn more to update my 1980 XS 650 Special II. 20200307_045552.jpg The first night home, and recently. Bullet 25.JPG
'TT'

Back