More carb questions.

i have allso noticed, can't do the dead cylinder test. pull the right plug, bike keeps runnin, pull the left side, kills the bike everytime. ??????????????
Does the bike run normally otherwise? Pulls nice and strong through the gears... pulls to redline?

Is the sync good? Sounds like the right carb is essentially shut off at idle, set way slower than the left one.

I am no carburetor guy but the out of sync sounds plausible
A video perhaps with a throttle blip sound left and right side high up can sometimes give info
Knocking and how the idling sounds timing setting
On 34 s the opening of the right side a bit would be easy counting the amount of adjusting in perhaps 1 / 4 turns of the adjuster see what happens

Just my 2¢ but, sounds like may need to go back to the basics. We need 3 things to get a motor running, air/fuel, compression and ignition. Have you verified you the compression and ignition aspects of the equation? If those check out do a bench sync on the carbs (procedure has already been outlined several times) and you should be close. What does the right side exhaust feel and/or smell like? Does it smell like raw fuel? Does it have the same pressure/temperature as the left? What does the spark plug look like? Just a few thoughts here

well, I questioned the sync yesterday but got no response... :shrug:
You're either badly out of sync with the left carb carrying the majority of the load, or the idle circuit in the right carb is completely plugged/dead.

The reason I ask if it otherwise makes good power is that anything that would cause a loss of power on that side would cause what you're describing. Very low compression on that side.... a worn camshaft that was barely opening the valves..... retarded timing on that side... even a birds nest in the muffler... :sneaky: ... and prolly other things I haven't mentioned.

well, I questioned the sync yesterday but got no response... :shrug:

The reason I ask if it otherwise makes good power is that anything that would cause a loss of power on that side would cause what you're describing. Very low compression on that side.... a worn camshaft that was barely opening the valves..... retarded timing on that side... even a birds nest in the muffler... :sneaky: ... and prolly other things I haven't mentioned.
None of the above! Carbs are in sync( if you mean the butterflies have been gauged and open equally, yes). Compression is roughly 125 both cylinders. Valves adjusted correctly, timing correct. No bird nest.

None of the above! Carbs are in sync( if you mean the butterflies have been gauged and open equally, yes). Compression is roughly 125 both cylinders. Valves adjusted correctly, timing correct. No bird nest.
Well that doesn't answer the question of if it's making good power through the gears and to redline but... this is starting to feel like pulling teeth so I'm gonna politely bow out of this one. There's plenty of good help here. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hihihi lads now when the well known problem with birds nests i solved

I googled the carburetors please have a look at that

3 minutes in he describes that it can be tricky he uses them as a trombone

The Synchronization adjustment looks the same as on 34 s.

Thinking out loud here please disregard if wrong
Remove the pods so nothing interferes with the intake
Adjust the Sync so the one plug running test ... is the same on both cylinders. If possible. counting the amount adjusted so it can be adjusted back
And take it from there

Well that doesn't answer the question of if it's making good power through the gears and to redline but... this is starting to feel like pulling teeth so I'm gonna politely bow out of this one. There's plenty of good help here. Good luck. :thumbsup:
didn't mean to cut ya short there. someone else mentioned i might put a video on so you guys can hear the motor, so i was trying to do that but not having any luck. can't make it small enough and i am having trouble uploading anything. to answer your question about power. i've been fighting this right side for i don't know how long. most of the problem is at low speed. i mean it isn't like it's dead or anything. i took about a 30 mile run on it awhile back. out on the hiway, it runs like a scalded ass ape! it's got good power thru the gears, it's an old bike so i don't run the piss out of it but, usually keep it about 60-65, smooth, if i don't pay attention, it does have a tendency to throttle up and before i know it i'm clippin along faster than need be. not the bikes fault, mine, aint paying attention, plus i'm old and my grip aint like a kid anymore.
but that's my problem, on the hiway, does pretty damn good, sittin here in the drive and at in town speeds, it just aint right! unless i get talked thru it, afraid there won't be a video so i'm no help there. i listened to it at idle and i can tell right now, the left one fires like it should but the right doesn't. the right IS sparking but not firing. i know this cause ya pull that wire you can hear is sparking which leads me to believe the right side isn't getting the gas it needs in that lower circuit. when ya throttle it, it obviously kicks in and higher rpm. your help is greatly appreciated by the way!

When you get to the stage where suggestions are repeated and answers state i have done that the mind is stuck on what has been done so any new work done will be without any relation to a set program.

i think what has to be done is either take a break for a few days then come back to them or start from the beginning with the thought that you are doing this for the first time from a fresh set of eyes and mind.

Set out a procedure of where to start to the finish. Changes made, (new jets needles), go back to the originals and do some study and comparisons. Don;t even think about what you have done. Unlearn it and go through all the advice given and work your program around that as if for the first time.

That is why a few days off can refresh and even while not thinking about the carbs they will be in the back of your mind and when you get back to them something might just click along the way............

When you get to the stage where suggestions are repeated and answers state i have done that the mind is stuck on what has been done so any new work done will be without any relation to a set program.

i think what has to be done is either take a break for a few days then come back to them or start from the beginning with the thought that you are doing this for the first time from a fresh set of eyes and mind.

Set out a procedure of where to start to the finish. Changes made, (new jets needles), go back to the originals and do some study and comparisons. Don;t even think about what you have done. Unlearn it and go through all the advice given and work your program around that as if for the first time.

That is why a few days off can refresh and even while not thinking about the carbs they will be in the back of your mind and when you get back to them something might just click along the way............

Just looked through your previous thread about the pamco timing issues and a couple things jumped out at me.

1. With a basic pamco you should be using a dual output coil. With a dual output coil if you disconnect 1 of the plug wires it break the secondary circuit and there should be no spark, unless it is finding a route to ground elsewhere. Swap the plug wires from left to right at the plugs and see if it changes.

2. I didn't see a resolution to the assistant getting shocked issue. Points back to #1.

You are missing at least 1 part of the equation

Just looked through your previous thread about the pamco timing issues and a couple things jumped out at me.

1. With a basic pamco you should be using a dual output coil. With a dual output coil if you disconnect 1 of the plug wires it break the secondary circuit and there should be no spark, unless it is finding a route to ground elsewhere. Swap the plug wires from left to right at the plugs and see if it changes.

2. I didn't see a resolution to the assistant getting shocked issue. Points back to #1.

You are missing at least 1 part of the equation
So, if I’m following you right, you’re saying i should be using two coils instead of one? So, if that’s the case, can’t fix that problem yet, only have the one that both wires run out of. Now if I follow you, you want me to move the right wire to the left plug and the obviously the left to right. And then watch for the fireworks, right?
And your reference to my help getting shocked, your right. We never have solved that issue yet.
Now let’s say your suspicions prove out. Will that tell me to run a coil to separate cylinders?
I’ll let ya know what happens, thanks.

That sounds wrong to me ..Please read the Ignitions instructions
Changing coils can fry the Pamco I am not familiar ..with Pamco specifically but it is common to have one dual ouput coil.
Whereas stock points had 2 separate.

That sounds wrong to me ..Please read the Ignitions instructions
Changing coils can fry the Pamco I am not familiar ..with Pamco specifically but it is common to have one dual ouput coil.
Whereas stock points had 2 separate.
I do believe your right. The more i have thought about this the more I don’t think i will try that. Switching plugs doesn’t sound like the answer. The timing would be off i would think.

So, if I’m following you right, you’re saying i should be using two coils instead of one? So, if that’s the case, can’t fix that problem yet, only have the one that both wires run out of. Now if I follow you, you want me to move the right wire to the left plug and the obviously the left to right. And then watch for the fireworks, right?
And your reference to my help getting shocked, your right. We never have solved that issue yet.
Now let’s say your suspicions prove out. Will that tell me to run a coil to separate cylinders?
I’ll let ya know what happens, thanks.

You should be running a dual output coil (single coil 2 ht wires) with a pamco. The pamco is a wasted spark ignition meaning it fires both cylinders each time the Pistons reach the fire position. It fires each cylinder on the compression and exhaust strokes. It's not like a points system where it only fires each cylinder on the compression stroke. Swapping ht leads won't change when the cylinders fire but if the problem switches sides you can be fairly certain you have a coil/ht lead issue. When swapping ht leads make sure you have all power off and the engine NOT running. If my suspicions are correct you need a new dual output coil. I think you are chasing an electrical problem through the carbs

I am with Mr ippytattoo on that ...switching ignition leads including spark plugs between sides see if the problem follows is a good test
Can someone please point to how a video is uploaded I have never done it myself .
And a pictures says more than a 100 words.

You should be running a dual output coil (single coil 2 ht wires) with a pamco. The pamco is a wasted spark ignition meaning it fires both cylinders each time the Pistons reach the fire position. It fires each cylinder on the compression and exhaust strokes. It's not like a points system where it only fires each cylinder on the compression stroke. Swapping ht leads won't change when the cylinders fire but if the problem switches sides you can be fairly certain you have a coil/ht lead issue. When swapping ht leads make sure you have all power off and the engine NOT running. If my suspicions are correct you need a new dual output coil. I think you are chasing an electrical problem through the carbs
Okay you guys, i think I’m following you. Now let me clarify, (sorry, i know just enough about this crap to get me in trouble), insure the bike is shut down, flip the wires, now, once I have done this I can crank it up? If yes, then check to see if my problem has followed the right side wire to the left side?

Okay you guys, i think I’m following you. Now let me clarify, (sorry, i know just enough about this crap to get me in trouble), insure the bike is shut down, flip the wires, now, once I have done this I can crank it up? If yes, then check to see if my problem has followed the right side wire to the left side?
Flip the wires and the spark plugs.... either or both may be at fault.

Back