More on the '74

julienm94

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
20221015_163927.jpg

I've managed to do more than I intended, but it feels like the right move. This '74 currently has adjustable hydraulic springs on the rear and eye-to-eye is about 14.5". Looking to replace these with ones not fitted with the hydraulic separate ugly tank or find a way to adjust the tanks to fall more inward. Any tips or ideas with replacing the rear shocks would be great! For now, sticking with the funky 16" on the back! Thank you for all the help along the way. What a solid community.

Those shocks appear to be from an early '80's Honda Supersport - likely too stiff when new. Those measurements are a bit long for the XS, but if you like the stance - ok.

For the money ~$250-300, I like Hagon or Progressive 412. Try to find a supplier that asks what the rider's weight is - proper springs are important

Nice, clean looking build BTW - well done! (well, they're never done)

Last edited:
Those shocks appear to be from an early '80's Honda Supersport - likely too stiff when new. Those measurements are a bit long for the XS, but if you like the stance - ok.

For the money ~$250-300, I like Hagon or Progressive 412. Try to find a supplier that asks what the rider's weight is - proper springs are important

Nice, clean looking build BTW - well done! (well, they're never done)
I found these at 14.25", slightly shorter but will give the chain a tad more clearance than it has now. The progressive 412s bolt right on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195325697288?ViewItem=&item=195325697288

Thanks.

They will bolt-up with one of the bushing sets provided. You're running a 16" wheel and can get a lower seat height with a shorter shock if you would like - 13" is the stock length, or stick with 14.25 if you prefer that.

On my tracker, I'm running 13" 412's while using a 19" R. wheel - no issues.
20221025_105551 (2).jpg

The most important thing is the spring rate: I weigh 150# and run the 70/120 pound springs on the 412's
20221025_105620 (2).jpg

One last thing; you can also get their disassembly tool and run the shock without the covers shown in their pic (as I have).

They will bolt-up with one of the bushing sets provided. You're running a 16" wheel and can get a lower seat height with a shorter shock if you would like - 13" is the stock length, or stick with 14.25 if you prefer that.

View attachment 228342
The most important thing is the spring rate: I weigh 150# and run the 70/120 pound springs on the 412's
View attachment 228343
One last thing; you can also get their disassembly tool and run the shock without the covers shown in their pic (as I have).
As always, incredibly helpful. Like you mentioned before, I went ahead and ordered a brand new 18" rim with complete hub, spacers, etc. that I am looking to swap with the 16". I know the rim/tire will still relatively have similar diameter, thinking of maybe going shorter on the shocks. I went on progressive suspension's website and they do not have TX/XS650s listed. I guess I will have to contact them.

View attachment 228342
View attachment 228343
JP, Do you know what the shock mount stud diameter is? Thx

Back