Most memorable bike you've owned

mick71b

Be kind, it's good for the soul.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Which one brings back good times?
For me it was an '81 Suzuki SP500 that I rode in many National dual-sport events with my friends on their Husabergs and KTM's and finished (behind them:laugh:). Dated a hottie that a 4wd was needed to get up her driveway and it made that journey many times with me smiling all the way. Hit a rock and broke the engine cases and stranded me in the middle of nowhere when it started losing power then locked up because the oil leaked out. :doh: Ended up trading it for a '72 Penton that I still own out of a real barn.
I could go on all day about that bike....
90c03092204414c0ddf802615caa12cd.jpg

I'd probably have to say the 1972 S-1 Kawasaki triple. Yea over weight for a 250 but still liked the way it liked to be wound out just did not like to go putt-putt around town. I always think that if I had one of it's bigger brothers I probably would not be around to write this note!

My most memorable bike is the XS2 I bought from my older brother in the spring of 1976. I was 18. Made a lot of memories on it back then. Still have it and it's my daily rider, so it's still making memories for me.

I'd say my '72 R5C. If for no other reason than it's the first (and only) bike I bought new off the showroom floor. I came from a world of small Honda's. The R5 was the first "fast" bike I ever rode. Had that tight 2 stroke powerband that would stand your hair on end when it came up on the pipes.

Random pic of R5C from the intertubes...
r51.jpg

2001 DRZ400. First bike I ever owned. Dropping it on a hill during traffic, riding from RI to NH with a 50lb backpack to meet friends camping redlining at 70mph, then getting caught in a downpour on the way home, running from the cops in the woods. It's what started it all. I've owned 4 drzs now, always sell it, always regret it. I've calmed down a little but definitely not matured haha One day I'll learn and just keep one in the stable.

Attachments

• IMG_4805.JPG
    IMG_4805.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 66
There was a one wire in the electric shop that had a 500 Kaw. Dunstall faring, roller bearing crank. He let me take a ride. I went down to the kaw shop and came out with a 1973 H2 in gold. It was QUICK! I didn't like the ring-a-ding-ding. One day the one wire said lets swap bikes for the week end. Ok. End of the week end and he wanted a 750 bad. I'd made about 7 payments on it. I told him take up payments on this one. Done deal. I went down to the Kaw shop and came out with a 1973 Z1. Never looked back. One outstanding motorcycle!

My most memorable bike was a late 60's BSA Victor 441 single cylinder heavy beast. If it did not try to throw me off while starting, it tried it's best to throw me off while riding.........

tim

My first RD350. It was an RD350A, so a 74, but first registered in 76, since no RD350B or 400C was imported to Norway. I bought it in 81, at 17 years old. After the first winter, it had Allspeed expansion chambers, rearsets and clipons. But no mirrors or indicators, of course.

Oh, I loved them all in their own way. Except a really dire 1956 Triumph T100.

Owned Hiro Hito, brown & gold Z1-B, for about seventeen years. But don't regret our parting ways.

One I wish I had not sold - KTM 620 Duke 1 in Aubergine. Sort of black but you could see purple when the light caught it. Incredible bike. Well for the first forty miles until the narrow seat got to you. Here's web shot:

Duke.jpg

I got to take a V-Max with a sidecar out for a short ride up on Quebec many years back. Guy was actually trying to sell it and I was very tempted.

Took it for a run down a two lane country road with wife in the sidecar. Decided to see how it handled so did some slalom type weaves down the center of the road at an indicated 100KPH and it was impressed with the way it handled, it had a custom front end for the sidecar set up.

When I got back to camp grounds where owner was he asked how I liked it. Told him what I had been doing, running at 100KPH down the road. that's when he said not really, see I ride mostly down in the states so while building the outfit I had the speedometer recalibrated to read MPH!

After my 1st m/c, a 1958 Sear's Allstate to my '59 Tiger Cub, to a '66 T100R, to a '76 R90S, to an Astro, several Superhawks, my 1st new streetbike-'77 650D, an on and on, my most memorable bike is one I bought new and still have. A 1-mile, never started (in this country anyway) 1978 Bultaco 125 Streaker.
Bultaco Streaker.jpg

I've had 30 Bikes now over 40+ years of riding. I can answer the most memorable is the first 'New' bike I ever had, a 2006 VMAX. It only lasted 7,500 miles before I totaled it and it almost totaled me, but it still remains as one of my most memorable rides. Time to get another one...
Max before.jpg

My most memorable bike was a late 60's BSA Victor 441 single cylinder heavy beast. If it did not try to throw me off while starting, it tried it's best to throw me off while riding.........

tim

I had a Victor. Mine had the red and ivory tank. I liked it. :thumbsup:

Like most of you, a lot of years bikes and memories. All of my past rides are memorable and to single one out for the best or outstanding for one reason or another is impossible. Even the bike that I had 1 ride one has good memories. I spent a bit of time and $$ un choppering her. A 70's BSA A 75 tripple. The Koni's that are on The SG were first fitted to that BSA. The Soviet era built URAL M-66 sidecar. The cadron(rear drive) that leaked 140 wt oil like a sieve. I brought her to the States after riding around Norfolk and Suffolk counties of East Angliea England. She showed her gratitude by never running again. Her sidecar was attached to the '60 R-69 and ridden Southern Nevada and BMW rallies in Mariposa. Twice. There's been a couple big twins. Another (more modern) BMW. 2 Honda's and even an older XS 650 before The SG. Oh yes, the 850 Commando. I wish I could have ridden her more than I did.

Back