Most memorable bike you've owned

Because it was my first. I would leave highschool at study hall and come back to my next class covered in mud. 4x2 8 speed transmission, moderate power, light enough to through around. Good fun always.
cm0616-243696_2@2x.jpg

I’ve been having this debate in my head ever since this thread was posted. It’s so hard to pick one bike, I’ve loved them all for different reasons, but I do really keep coming back to one particular bike. It wasn’t the fastest or the best handling, the brakes were wooden and the suspension was mushy, but I keep going back to my 1977 BMW R100/7. After a hiatus of over 20 years, this was the bike that was my re entry into the motorcycling world. I bought it when I was 47, it was also my first classic bike, my first BMW and my first restoration. When I bought it , it ran well but was rough looking and I decided to just ride it for a while and do little repairs as I went.
D0D295D5-7A3E-493F-8261-A278E13773D3.jpeg

I rebuilt the forks and carburetors , replaced the seat and painted the tins and rode that bike for about five years. It was a great highway bike and perfect for weekend get aways. I was sad to see it go.
D502E962-DE38-40A5-9CB8-067B0A561EF2.jpeg 8FEC619F-7EB1-4377-B45F-BC73FA1A2CDB.jpeg

B48E165F-C9F6-4E34-AFC1-E490496A0808.jpeg 6F0ECEE0-3192-4F57-ACCB-43AB8918F98D.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been having this debate in my head ever since this thread was posted. It’s so hard to pick one bike, I’ve loved them all for different reasons, but I do really keep coming back to one particular bike. It wasn’t the fastest or the best handling, the brakes were wooden and the suspension was mushy, but I keep going back to my 1977 BMW R100/7. After a hiatus of over 20 years, this was the bike that was my re entry into the motorcycling world. I bought it when I was 47, it was also my first classic bike, my first BMW and my first restoration. When I bought it , it ran well but was rough looking and I decided to just ride it for a while and do little repairs as I went.
View attachment 198889

I had had it for about six months when I recieved some bad news. Seven months after my only brother died of cancer, I found out I had cancer too. Prostate cancer, and I needed surgery soon. I had my surgery and then I developed complications. What should’ve been a few weeks recovery drug on for two and a half months. That old BMW became therapy for me. When I was still too sick to work, I could shuffle out to the garage and sit on my stool and get lost in the minutiae of detail work.
View attachment 198885 View attachment 198886

I could only manage a couple hours a day, but those two hours were like heaven. When I was working on rebuilding carburetors and forks I was totally absorbed in the task and all thoughts of being sick were pushed away, worries were forgotten and I was in a happy place. After my recovery and I returned to work, I began riding again and it was glorious, that old Beemer shed its years on the Highway and was an excellent bike for weekend travels. I had that bike for another four years, eventually selling it so I could purchase my first brand new bike in 30 years. I’m not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye when the guy who bought it rode away. I don’t think I realized just how connected to it I had become until I saw it leave.
View attachment 198888 View attachment 198887
Nice bit of kit Bob. Reliable dependable and easy to maintain.

I had a R-100RS for about 4 yrs in it's homeland. Oh yeah. Rock steady on the autobahn with a 125 top speed. Meamwhile Porches and MB's passing you 150-180 mph. My bike knew the way to Frankfort, Traben-Trabach to K-town along the Mosel river, Simmern and other places on it's own. Up and down the switchbacks to get to the Mosel valley to attend winefests. I'll stop now. Sorry for the steal Bob.

Haven't had a lot of bikes and i guess the first is the most favored. 73 DT250 with an MX250 engine in it. Bought it from a bike shop and it had been siting in amongst a lot of others and the Previous owner never collected it. It was a diamond in the rough but man that bike was a dream to ride and I gave it hell. Was on a farm and some of my closest friends were as well. We would get together, 4 or 5 of us, take turns and meet up on each others farm and tear up the grass.

Don't have pics and it didn't have factory paint, Here is a pic of a 73.
1973-Yamaha-DT3-250-Enduro-2.jpg

Very true, my Guzzi SP1000 is a mile-muncher as well and my first Goose. Love it!View attachment 198933

I love Guzzis , I look at them all the time. I would love to own one before it’s all over.[/QUOTE]
makebetter2.jpg

It's certainly not floating the main stream. I love it too!

Back