Motogadget vs 79 XS 650 with separate reg/rectifier

Sandgroper

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve decided to clean up my entire wiring system on my Aussie 79 XS special. Has anyone ever wired a Motogadget m unit blue and kept the original handle bar switches and the two piece regulator rectifier charging system with the original stator? All the wiring diagram’s I’ve seen online are for one piece red/rectifiers. I’m also using an electronic ignition. Thanks

There is really no advantage to using an M-Unit with a stock or stock-like wiring scheme, in fact it's harder.

What are your goals for integrating the M-Unit as opposed to a better fuse box, etc.? What features do you want?

This will take a bit of pondering on the handlebar switches, there are at least 3 other members and maybe one has done the stock switches (I use momentary sw. w/M-button). Let's go to the easier stuff to begin:

The "Lock In" will take positive VDC from the key switch (all else is earth in), so fused red from battery+ into stock key sw. brown out to Lock In.

You can use Ignition Out for the stock R/W circuit from stock fuse box. The stock kill switch works normally that way and no other kill is needed.

The starter solenoid R/W can come from M-Unit Start Out. The solenoid L/W needs a ground signal from the starter button so that's a problem as the stock switch shares a R/W on the button that is + but needs to be ground to go to Start In. I ground the L/W @ solenoid and supply power from a 3 position switch - doesn't go through M-Unit at all.

To charge battery take red out of rectifier straight to battery +.

To power brushes the brown wire from regulator can go to AUX 1

Taint easy......

Last edited:
Ok, so I pondered a bit (while re-fitting front end on bobber) and realize that I have not actually done this:

So, Turn signals get wired into Turn R, L Out – M-Unit acts as flasher relay. Br/W at left bar switch goes to ground, Chocolate brown and Dark green from switch goes to Signal Ins.

Horn button Pink goes to Horn In, run wire from Horn Out to horn and ground other horn terminal

Dimmer Sw. green goes to ground, Yellow to Light In. Yellow at headlight goes to High Beam Out, Green goes to Low Beam Out, Black to ground

Last edited:
Can’t help you with the reg/rec question but I used (aftermarket) stock switches.

See attached diagram.

Attachments

• wiring diagram 1980 XS650SG Black Brat - updated 2022 07 31.pdf
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 112
Thanks heaps everyone for your input. I’m slowly getting there, just spending a lot of time routing all the new wiring around the bike. It is actually beginning to take shape and with any luck I’ll have the bike running again soon. I did end up buying the momentary handle bar switches because I did not want to butcher the old switches I spent so much time restoring so I boxed them up for another project.

Attachments

• C8F51349-9E29-49CD-BC6D-B55C4F5EAF8F.jpeg
    C8F51349-9E29-49CD-BC6D-B55C4F5EAF8F.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 66
Back