Motor Gasket Set Recommendations

peterg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m tearing down and rebuilding my 1980 Xs650 motor top end this winter.

I’m looking for recommendations for a gasket set. I can get an Athena set easily enough but I understand the head gasket may be too thick.

I’m hoping to order from a Canadian source to avoid shipping and duty costs.

I don't think the Athena head gasket is too thick, just maybe thicker than is ideal. I really didn't notice any power loss using it. The bike ran great and better than before, but that could have to do with all the other stuff I did (new rings, porting). But now recently, what I'm starting to have against those Athena head gaskets is they give out eventually it seems. After about a dozen years now, mine has started leaking and I can't stop it (did multiple re-torques to try). Now, I was thinking it's probably just an isolated incident but now the Athena head gasket we used on my buddy's rebuild about 10 years ago has started leaking too. Anyway, I'm not going to use the Athena head gaskets anymore. I'll use another brand and also take the opportunity to find one that's the thinner stock thickness. I don't know, maybe thicker is not as good for longevity?

Well, I think the factory one leaked because nobody ever re-torqued their heads, lol. After owning big twins for many years, I've found it very necessary to re-torque the heads several times after a rebuild (or in this case, initial factory assembly) on all of them.

What concerns me about the site is their shipping. 10-15 days to ship?
upload_2021-10-28_15-39-46.png

That's how long it takes OEM parts to ship lately. It means they don't have their mits on it.
So you are buying from someone with empty shelves? 10 to 15 business day is 3 week real time. You order wait a month and no part (3 weeks+shipping time) then contact them about it, they drag their feet replying. By the time you decide you've been screwed it could be 2+ months. Makes it harder to get your money back from credit card companies. I know I may be being cynical. I would rather buy from someone I know is somewhat legit. Just my thoughts.

So you are buying from someone with empty shelves? 10 to 15 business day is 3 week real time. You order wait a month and no part (3 weeks+shipping time) then contact them about it, they drag their feet replying. By the time you decide you've been screwed it could be 2+ months. Makes it harder to get your money back from credit card companies. I know I may be being cynical. I would rather buy from someone I know is somewhat legit. Just my thoughts.
When was the last time you ordered from Partzilla? It's how you describe. My last Partshark order, at two weeks I got a "shipped" notification. Parts arrived here shortly after. Everything is on delay right now.

I just ordered from Mikes. Parts shipped the next day. I don't order from Partzilla anymore because everybody has had to wait to get them. I will order from them again when I hear they are shipping like they used to. I get most of my stuff from E-Bay and Amazon. They still get it shipped quickly. Also XS650.com does too. Niche is still shipping as fast as ever. I'll pay a little more for better service. I should note there are parts I will not by from Mikes. I personally would not buy from a new vendor if they said 10-15 days to ship unless somebody like you said there are legit.

I just ordered from Mikes. Parts shipped the next day. I don't order from Partzilla anymore because everybody has had to wait to get them. I will order from them again when I hear they are shipping like they used to. I get most of my stuff from E-Bay and Amazon. They still get it shipped quickly. Also XS650.com does too. Niche is still shipping as fast as ever. I'll pay a little more for better service. I should note there are parts I will not by from Mikes. I personally would not buy from a new vendor if they said 10-15 days to ship unless somebody like you said there are legit.
Yep! MikesXS/Dime City ship immediately . No complaint there!

I recently ordered from MMM at 650 central. Great guy. He was having internet issues but shipped within 48hrs of order and was shipped from CA to IN in just a few days. I will note that several of the parts I wanted were not in his inventory though.

Done. Just ordered the Vesrah VG-282 full engine set from OEM Cycles in Tennessee for $57 USD with a shipping cost of $0 to Toronto Canada. Can’t beat that price. I’ve ordered from them before - great service and decent delivery time (considering it’s shipped internationally).

Back