Motorcycle jack or full platform lift?

oneup

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm soon to begin building an XS650 based bobber. (purists relax, I'm not hacking up a good bike, using a Cycle One custom frame and all new everything else) Those of you with multiple builds under your belt.....would you go with a simple jack or full platform lift? In a perfect world I suppose both would be nice but I don't live in that one so one will have to do. What say you guys?

If you are doing any serious work and you have the space, a platform lift is the only way to go.
On whatever you get, watch out for the sharp corners on the platform. Perfect height for damaging ankles!

How much space do you have? I have one bike on the jack and one bike in the chock, it works out pretty well. If I had a giant space I'd love the lift but that just isn't the way it worked out.

+2 if you have the room and $$ you will absolutely love a lift. My cheapo harbor freight has served me well for more than 10 years, most of that time with bikes on it. Can't believe I waited so long. Waited for a CL deal, got one with a failed XS project sitting on it :whistle:. Never mind that half the time I have a bike on the lift and am working on a DIFFERENT bike in the shed. Like oh last night, changing turn signals and fixing a loose headlight on the Zooky, While Madness was on the lift. :banghead::cussing::banghead:

Yes grab a file or angle grinder round the corners BEFORE you tear your jeans and leg, not after like I did.
Nothing finer than the sound of tools and parts rattling their way towards the floor when you finally fire up a long dead bike on the lift.:rolleyes:

MCtable.png
I'm cheap (but I'm not easy. No, I'm easy too) so I built a motorcycle table out of mostly scrap wood I had laying around. It's pretty sturdy/stable and with the addition of a HFT wheel chock and some 6 x 6 wooden blocks (with 'V' cuts), for when I have the forks and swing arm off, I'll be working on the basket case from the comfort of a mechanics chair instead of having my butt on the concrete floor of my friend's hot rod shop.

Attachments

• MCtable.png
    MCtable.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
I got 3 lifts. The Handy is great.. air, nice clamp. Got it used.. great deal. $500.00. New, I heard they'r pushing $1500.oo. Then there's the H/Freight unit. Foot hydraulic foot pump. On sale $300.oo... the stock wheel " clamp " is J.U.N.K. Order a proper wheel clamp from Red Line Industries. Great " L " shaped clamp.. delivered to you door for $135.oo
My brother use to work for a X ray machine company. They toss'd a old X ray table. Perfect size for a motorcycle.. electric...great price.. Free.. I can afford free. I added a Red Line clamp.
The H/Freight with a proper clamp works very well.

I have room for a platform, just have to set my rockcrawling buggy in the wheel dollies and roll it sideways as far as I can.

i replaced my old jack recently and i can't fine a good spot to lift this bike with. any suggestions? it seems to be very front heavy

If stock the kickstand is the issue preventing an easy lift. I have a jack and with a couple pieces of board to level things out have put the XS's up on it many times. Because of the boards I always use a ratchet strap to keep the bike secure on the jack. Always meant to make an XS specific adaptor and document it. but the lift is so easy... I did make a jack adaptor for the royal star with a retaining pin, because it's too big for the lift table and has no center stand. That poor jack!!!

Back