Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @robotnik

I didn’t take a measurement but I will as soon as I’m home (I’m on a break in the Lake District). A rough visual estimate has me thinking that we’re very close to the 3mm required though.

I’ve not rebuilt my lever up just yet so I borrowed this from a friend…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Br...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

It has a 12.5mm piston, you’re correct that the piston I’m using is 14mm (clutch lever from a YZF 750).

I’m very keen to rebuild the YZF 750 lever so I can feel how it works with that.

Daniel.

Last edited:

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome back Daniel, and congrats on the new phase of your career. Great news about the project progress – the tapered oil groove is an interesting discovery.

Thanks @eyewinder

It was a real eye opener to me to discover the tapered oil seal groove, a little bit of a 'eureka' moment!

I've since learnt that a tapered oil seal groove is common practice and have witnessed it in both a rear Brembo brake calliper I'm using on my build and a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder from a Ducati I bought to examine.

It's worth noting that I didn't dissect either of these but discovered the oil seals outer face to be tapered upon removal.

Daniel.