Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

As I said, bare with me and when the first is done I’ll post photos and if people like what they see we can take it from there?

I’ll be fully transparent on material & machining costings.

Daniel,
Very interested. Any material would be good, but if given choices SS would be good. Keep us posted. Thx.

Mrriggs used cast iron for his slave body and some sort of SS for the piston I believe? So something like SS seems sufficient, but I’m certainly not a metals expert by any stretch. I know brakes will use cast for housings and SS for the actual pistons. Anyone know what might drive those choices? I’d be happy with whatever works :D

Mrriggs used cast iron for his slave body and some sort of SS for the piston I believe? So something like SS seems sufficient, but I’m certainly not a metals expert by any stretch. I know brakes will use cast for housings and SS for the actual pistons. Anyone know what might drive those choices? I’d be happy with whatever works :D

Casting refers to the manufacturing process not the material used e.g. cast, forged, machined etc.

On a large scale a manufacturer would choose to ‘cast’ a calliper body as it would be more cost effective. On a smaller scale a manufacturer may choose to ‘machine’ the same part, take Hel Performance for example, a company local to me who can machine you a custom calliper. Their products are often used in BSB.

Mr Riggs slave cylinder body was machined out of steel, can’t remember the specific grade off hand.

Daniel.

Last edited:
A couple of years back when I was in university I took a product development elective for my engineering degree. I wanted to do something XS related and at the time there was another thread on the Mr Riggs style clutch doing the rounds so I thought it would be handy to look into something like that.

So I ended up writing a report, cant remember how long but prob 10k words at least going through the whole thing from start to finish, calculating the forces involved, diameters of slave cylinders, the materials, o-rings, surface finish, tolerences, processes etc. I made some spreadsheets and did some drawings, even 3d printed some prototypes and stuff.

It was a pretty decent body of work, the only problem is, all my university stuff is currently at my moms house about 70 miles away and here in Ireland we cant travel more than 5kms till at least April so I'm afraid I'm no help until at least then.

I'd say aluminum would work fine, 6061 more specifically. Pretty much every factory clutch slave is aluminum, most calipers are aluminum now. And the aftermarket slaves for ducati/aprillia etc are aluminum.

Mine was made from 516 stainless because it was available.

Slightly off topic but I thought it may be interesting to those concerned, if only to show my machinist friends ability.

A Titanium ‘race’ sump drain plug I had him make, there’s a 20mm x 3mm Neodymium magnet pressed into the bottom.

2BC032CB-0301-42C2-87AC-B1E9B56603BC.jpeg
B0B1AF57-2CF6-42AE-969D-5E8CE7F561C8.jpeg
6F438FA0-C252-49CD-9042-16A15207768C.jpeg

Would be interested as well, provided the pricing was right. This said, I realize there may be a bit of a premium on a small batch run.

Purchased an Aprilia slave to work on a conversion, but buggered the piston. Found out it is almost impossible to get a replacement (without purchasing the entire assembly).

As well, the small sample of research I did on the the Aprilia forums found that many were complaining about the stock units leaking.

Last edited:
These are a photos of a few of the F1 ‘odds’ my metal guy has laying around. Thought this might be of interest to some.
/

Hope Mr. Stroll doesn't see these photos. We could a whole nuther copying investigation though I don't see any brake ducts:)

Hoping F1 tv has coverage of testing next week.

Would be interested as well, provided the pricing was right. This said, I realize there may be a bit of a premium on a small batch run.

Purchased an Aprilia slave to work on a conversion, but buggered the piston. Found out it is almost impossible to get a replacement (without purchasing the entire assembly).

As well, the small sample of research I did on the the Aprilia forums found that many were complaining about the stock units leaking.

This is just a very rough figure as I won’t know more until we make the first but I wouldn’t expect I’ll be able to offer them for much less than $150.

Daniel.

I wasn’t intending on supplying hydraulic line.

I was intending on supplying the slave assembly complete with banjo bolt, crush washer and a bleed nipple, along with a circlip for mounting.

As I’ve said this is just a very rough preliminary estimation and I won’t be able to be more accurate until I have had mine made.
That being said I feel $150 is quite a low price, considering a kit used to be for sale on TwinsInn.de for $300 (that did include hydraulic line). There was also a poll a while back and general consensus seemed to be that people were comfortable with $150-200.

But please tell me your thoughts, I’m open to feedback and this will be first venture.

Daniel.

I wasn’t intending on supplying hydraulic line.

I was intending on supplying the slave assembly complete with banjo bolt, crush washer and a bleed nipple, along with a circlip for mounting.

As I’ve said this is just a very rough preliminary estimation and I won’t be able to be more accurate until I have had mine made.
That being said I feel $150 is quite a low price, considering a kit used to be for sale on TwinsInn.de for $300 (that did include hydraulic line). There was also a poll a while back and general consensus seemed to be that people were comfortable with $150-200.

But please tell me your thoughts, I’m open to feedback and this will be first venture.

Daniel.
For me, the less I have to do to, the better to source all the required parts. Maybe once you finalize the manufacturing of the slave, you could offer the cylinder by itself or a plug and play kit.

Back