Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Honestly, If I was back in cali at my pops machine shop, I could spin out plenty of these. I actually had plans to do so already. I have a EFI setup I'm beta testing that is similar to Hugh's cdi setup, but I am physically machining a tone ring that I'm pressing then tig welding onto a rz350 rotor and using kawasaki ex500 throttle body. It literally goes right on as if it was meant to be there. My real hot rod motor thats in the works is getting every mod I've found and plenty I'm adapting from my rd350 road racer. EFI, first year heads on a custom cam, and I'm even pursuing a roller rocker design personally. So stay tuned I have a lot of fun tricks about to be seen.

As promised I scrounged every cover I had in my bins and they all measure within a mm. 7.2mm to 7.8mm was the average. Measured with a calibrated Starrett electronic caliper so I'm fairly certain. Now a mm is .039" so yes I would think a few shims would be helpful. But when I made a similar setup for an rd350 after the hydraulic cylinder has been brought up and bled it doesn't retract 100% every time. It acts more like a brake caliper and will at least stay static against the rod. Using a 2 piece shaft might be an issue but it won't like let the rod fall out of the cylinder.

After converting several RD to accept Ducati clutch slave cylinder, I never had to have any "adjustment". The slave will take up the free space after it's bled automatically, just like a brake caliper on a car. The hydraulic cylinder will only retract until there is no more force applied on it from the clutch springs. So honestly that .015" to .030" will not be a problem.

Last edited:
I agree with proving shims. With variation of case thickness, will end users need to “fine tune” the length of their pushrods?

@ShaggyMech has answered the latter part of your question for me although, I’m recommending we all use a one-piece Alloy push-rod as pioneered by @TwoManyXS1Bs to refine operations. I’m going to be offering these myself but @GLJ already does at a great price so anybody in the US should reach out to him.

In regards to having to shim out the slave cylinder to fit individual cases, I believe we’ve found a remedy for this without the use of shims or the like. Hold tight, there’s more information to follow. I was supposed to see my machinist tonight but something came up. I’ve spoke to him though and he has pretty much completed a slave cylinder body. I’m planning on stopping by tomorrow so photos & more information then.

Daniel.

Last edited:
As promised...

BC21618F-1A25-42C4-8274-3EC121A2F8C6.jpeg

97645ED7-42BC-415D-A314-D24D9B3FCB08.jpeg

F3BF00CB-9883-47FB-B30A-057F03BCED3E.jpeg

We ironed out the final details of the design tonight, I expect to have a fully functioning unit within a week.

The slave cylinder body will be secured in the casing via two sunken cap screws that locate in the existing threaded holes.

I’m using a one-piece banjo bolt & bleed screw that will be oriented directly at the cable hole in the casing.

Daniel.

As promised...

View attachment 188167

View attachment 188168

View attachment 188169

We ironed out the final details of the design tonight, I expect to have a fully functioning unit within a week.

The slave cylinder body will be secured in the casing via two sunken cap screws that locate in the existing threaded holes.

I’m using a one-piece banjo bolt & bleed screw that will be oriented directly at the cable hole in the casing.

Daniel.
Looking good Daniel! Getting exciting. Thx for taking the lead on this.

...I think it would be helpful if we could get a few measurements off various side covers to get a bit of picture here...

Something to consider is the insidious "raised edge" we've found on some sidecovers.

WormBase02b.jpg

Reference:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-worm-actuator-experiment-tidbits.31554/page-3#post-321187

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-worm-actuator-experiment-tidbits.31554/page-10#post-459480

That raised ridge digs into the nylon worm base, distorting it, but the worm eventually will fully seat. A metal part will set atop that ridge, perhaps settling over time from crushing the ridge.

The height of that ridge is indeterminate.
How much eventual settling is also indeterminate...

Will y'all be willing to do runs after the original one? I have another project that would prolly love to get one in the future too, but not quite ready yet.

I plan on producing these for as long as there’s a demand.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the development process of this little project and it feels great to be getting such positive feedback.

Daniel.

Something to consider is the insidious "raised edge" we've found on some sidecovers.

View attachment 188192

Reference:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-worm-actuator-experiment-tidbits.31554/page-3#post-321187

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-worm-actuator-experiment-tidbits.31554/page-10#post-459480

That raised ridge digs into the nylon worm base, distorting it, but the worm eventually will fully seat. A metal part will set atop that ridge, perhaps settling over time from crushing the ridge.

The height of that ridge is indeterminate.
How much eventual settling is also indeterminate...

My machinist has already discovered this issue.

When I stopped by he mentioned it and showed me my casing and that he’d spent a little time flattening that pronounced ridge off with flat files.

He also said the hole in the casing for the original clutch worm gear mechanism was slightly off-round so he’d addressed that too.

I’m going to recommend that everybody takes similar steps to clean their own cases up, it only takes a small amount of time with hand files.

Daniel.

Any updates?

@ShaggyMech

We’ve been waiting on a M10 x 1.0 plug tap to arrive, with the Easter bank holiday weekend just gone things took a little longer than usual.
It arrived on my doorstep yesterday, so I’ll be dropping it off with my machinist after work tomorrow.

It’s needed for the banjo fitting. Once he’s tapped that hole the prototypes all done!

Excited to be able to show photos of the finished product.

Daniel.

Devon, UK, I've got a good friend owns a machine shop over in Totton, near South Hampton is a keen XS650 enthusiast and builder.
https://www.g2ltd.co.uk/

Thanks for that, it could be just the place @RC4MAN

I think I’ll send him an email, who should I say recommended him?

Daniel.

Back