Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Love the hustle on this, cheers Daniel!!

I’m not going to lie, I think I’ve been bitten by the bug and I’ve not stopped thinking about the next project.

It’s a tricky one though because over the last few years the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder seemed to keep popping up as topic from time to time so there appeared to be the interest & demand.

Daniel.

Maybe I am dreaming but thought I saw an interest expressed in this thread for the 1 piece clutch pushrod?? If there was an interest expressed then just remember that the pushrod is not 8mm. An 8mm will not fit down the shaft on an XS650SH. The pushrod needs to be the imperial equivalent which is 5/16" or approximately 7.94mm. Who would ever have thought 0.06mm would matter so much?? I tried 8mm and had to skim it down to 5/16" to make it fit. I am sure 2M mentioned this in the thread a couple of years back.

I've been making and selling a 1 piece Aluminum pushrod for about a year. I'm using 8mm stock from an American company. It measures a little less than 8mm. It works. I did get some 8mm stock from China that would not work.I did just have 1 person tell me he thought his fit tighter than his steel rod. It did go in and work. Out of the couple dozen I have sent out he is the only one that mentioned a snug fit.

Ok Daniel, thanks for taking the bull by the horns and jumping into this. I recently did the hydraulic clutch conversion, the old way, with the slave sticking out the side of the cover. It transformed clutch action to a nice smooth pull and release, real happy with it. I may have to think about going with one of your custom made slaves, very slick and well made by the looks of it. But that will be down the road a bit, other projects are taking up time at the moment.

Ok Daniel, thanks for taking the bull by the horns and jumping into this. I recently did the hydraulic clutch conversion, the old way, with the slave sticking out the side of the cover. It transformed clutch action to a nice smooth pull and release, real happy with it. I may have to think about going with one of your custom made slaves, very slick and well made by the looks of it. But that will be down the road a bit, other projects are taking up time at the moment.

That’s really encouraging to here, what size M/C to S/C piston size did you use?

Thank you for expressing interest and the kind words, I plan on offering these (along with a few other choice items) for the foreseeable so they’ll be there when you ready.

Daniel.

I can't find the numbers at the moment, I write everything down, those senior moments seem to happen continuously now. I am pretty sure slave cylinder is 33.6mm and master is 12.7 mm.Travel at pushrod was something like 120 thou. Hope this helps Daniel.

I can't find the numbers at the moment, I write everything down, those senior moments seem to happen continuously now. I am pretty sure slave cylinder is 33.6mm and master is 12.7 mm.Travel at pushrod was something like 120 thou. Hope this helps Daniel.
Does anyone know what the max separation in the plates is (clutch rod travel) before bottoming out the springs or rubbing the basket on the side case? Next question would be the expected travel of Daniel’s hydraulic slave. Fingers crossed this will “help us find neutral”. Lol.

Does anyone know what the max separation in the plates is (clutch rod travel) before bottoming out the springs or rubbing the basket on the side case? Next question would be the expected travel of Daniel’s hydraulic slave. Fingers crossed this will “help us find neutral”. Lol.
@TwoManyXS1Bs has studied the clutch extensively on these bike. Here's a good place to start. The answer lies within. :sneaky:

Sorry I’ve gone a little quiet of late in regards to updates on the slave cylinder.

Truth be told we had fitment issues when the side casing was mated to the engine casing. I hold my hands up, it was completely an oversight on my part.

Anyway this problem has been rectified and we’ve also made another refinement to the design.
This being a a small counterbore that doesn’t allow the piston to be pressed in further than the oil fitting hole. Although not essential I thought it a nice touch to offer a “user friendly” finished product.

I appreciate everybody’s patience but I want to be able to the offer the best possible version of this design to all of you out there.

Daniel.

Back