Mr Riggs Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Thanks @robotnik

I didn’t take a measurement but I will as soon as I’m home (I’m on a break in the Lake District). A rough visual estimate has me thinking that we’re very close to the 3mm required though.

I’ve not rebuilt my lever up just yet so I borrowed this from a friend…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Br...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

It has a 12.5mm piston, you’re correct that the piston I’m using is 14mm (clutch lever from a YZF 750).

I’m very keen to rebuild the YZF 750 lever so I can feel how it works with that.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Welcome back Daniel, and congrats on the new phase of your career. Great news about the project progress – the tapered oil groove is an interesting discovery.

Thanks @eyewinder

It was a real eye opener to me to discover the tapered oil seal groove, a little bit of a 'eureka' moment!

I've since learnt that a tapered oil seal groove is common practice and have witnessed it in both a rear Brembo brake calliper I'm using on my build and a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder from a Ducati I bought to examine.

It's worth noting that I didn't dissect either of these but discovered the oil seals outer face to be tapered upon removal.

Daniel.

I saw this thread after replying to your PM.

The step-by-step building of it was documented on The Chopper Underground which no longer exists.

The text is long gong but I do still have all the pictures on my web server.

By the way, the clutch still functions smoothly and effortlessly. In all these years it hasn't required any adjustment or lost a single drop of oil.

XSthing01.jpg

XSthing02.jpg

XSthing03.jpg

XSthing04.jpg

XSthing05.jpg

XSthing06.jpg

XSthing07.jpg

XSthing08.jpg

XSthing09.jpg

XSthing10.jpg

XSthing11.jpg

XSthing12.jpg

XSthing13.jpg

XSthing14.jpg

XSthing15.jpg

XSthing16.jpg

XSthing17.jpg

XSthing18.jpg

XSthing19.jpg

XSthing20.jpg

XSthing21.jpg

XSthing22.jpg

XSthing23.jpg

XSthing24.jpg

XSthing25.jpg

XSthing26.jpg
HI, do you have the measures, I would like to build one for my xs

Thanks @eyewinder

It was a real eye opener to me to discover the tapered oil seal groove, a little bit of a 'eureka' moment!

I've since learnt that a tapered oil seal groove is common practice and have witnessed it in both a rear Brembo brake calliper I'm using on my build and a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder from a Ducati I bought to examine.

It's worth noting that I didn't dissect either of these but discovered the oil seals outer face to be tapered upon removal.

Daniel.
Is it safe to assume that this project has been placed on the back shelf? Still would like to get a hydraulic clutch bit would have preferred the slave cylinder be under the side case cover. Please advise. Thx.

Hi @bosco659

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I have been slacking with my hydraulic clutch project, there were/are mitigating factors at play that I will explain at some point very soon.

If it's any consolation the slave cylinder that I posted a video of back in May has sat on top of my top box on my work bench since I filmed that video and it's not lost a drop of oil or it's great feel.

Ideally I'd like someone to test one (I have two) out in the field so to speak but I've struggled a little to find a willing subject.

I've set myself a goal to move forward with this project again in 2023 and I do have a lead on a production machinist who I need to meet and discuss the project.

Hang in there guys, we will get there one day!

Daniel.

I've been wanting to machine a clutch slave cylinder for some time. After much googling I gather a 13mm master cylinder coupled to a 25mm slave cylinder should work. Now being a lover of all things mechanical looking, I was going to machine one up so it fit on the outside of the left side cover, purely for looks The machining is easy, the problem being the seals inside the slave. I've no idea where to get thee seals from in Oz. Things are different here, trying to get anything out of the ordinary is just impossible.

Hi @toglhot

I copied the bore design of an R6 brake calliper, I did this so I knew I was working with a proven design but primarily as the seals would be readily available.

Daniel.

I've considered seals from slave cylinders on other bikes, even four piston brake caliper seals. Whilst there are plenty availablee on ebay (except R6) none advertise the size. I don't know anybody who is into bikes and machinery, so the slave cylinder looks like a no go for me.
Design wise, I'd just do as I've alway done, design it myslef.

I ended up buying the hydraulic clutch kit from xs650shop de because I needed to get the bike going but its a pricey kit. I haven't installed it yet but supposedly it needs a light shave on the case to clear sometimes. I think if you make it fit for a better price it would be pretty popular

I ended up buying the hydraulic clutch kit from xs650shop de because I needed to get the bike going but its a pricey kit. I haven't installed it yet but supposedly it needs a light shave on the case to clear sometimes. I think if you make it fit for a better price it would be pretty popular

Hi @Speakas

Regardless of the product I think the buyer will always have to except there may be a little work to do to make these fit, free space is at premium so you’re limited to how small the unit can feasibly be, you need to remember that no two casings are exactly alike so a little ‘fettling’ for the end user is unavoidable.

What do they cost on XS650shop.de? €300 from memory?

Daniel.

Back