Muffler advice

Weedwacker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
My 1976 XS650C is nearly done and looking for a black muffler that will go with my stock wrapped headpipes. I'd like something with a tunable or repackable baffle that is not tinny, raspy sounding or crazy loud. Looking for a low deep tone.
The emgo 17" 84038B looks interesting but is hard to find. The 19" slash cut would be just the right look and length, but maybe too loud with a 1 3/4" straight through baffle. I kinda prefer the looks of the emgo 20" 84052B but it's a non removable baffle and is only a 13/16" inside diameter, straight through type. Maybe too small for a XS650?

For the meantime I've got a set of special exhaust that I got at a swap meet over 30 years ago, but their in rough shape and got some rust holes in the bottom. Bike runs good and sounds nice. Carbs are rebuilt and jetted good for the special exhaust and XS pod filters. Anyone out there have experience with theses 3 emgo mufflers, please share your thoughts.
- Thanks in advance!

I agree, would be leery of Emgo muffs without knowing flow. I fought tuning a motor with an Emgo muffler set for an embarrassingly long time, I finally realized the mufflers just wouldn't flow enough volume. :doh:
You might want to look at some of the options here
https://yamahaxs650.com/product-category/exhaust/
Though I'm not sure about Canadian shipping.

You can get black take off mufflers from newer sportsters for really cheap, they flow well and sound good. I put one on my wifes Honda CJ360.
I've thought about going that route and will have to look for some. I was thinking they might flow too much, but if they work good on a Honda CJ360 they should be fine for my xs650. Thanks !

I agree, would be leery of Emgo muffs without knowing flow. I fought tuning a motor with an Emgo muffler set for an embarrassingly long time, I finally realized the mufflers just wouldn't flow enough volume. :doh:
You might want to look at some of the options here
https://yamahaxs650.com/product-category/exhaust/
Though I'm not sure about Canadian shipping.
Yes unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. I know if I was to settle for chrome mufflers that would open up a lot more options. Thanks !

I've thought about going that route and will have to look for some. I was thinking they might flow too much, but if they work good on a Honda CJ360 they should be fine for my xs650. Thanks !
I'm running one of them on a 2into1 on the CJ, actually sounds really good and seems to have plenty of back pressure. CB/CJ/CL360's don't perform well with insufficient back pressure.

ATTACH=full]193626[/ATTACH]

I've got a set of special exhaust that I got at a swap meet over 30 years ago, but their in rough shape and got some rust holes in the bottom. Bike runs good and sounds nice. Carbs are rebuilt and jetted good for the special exhaust and XS pod filters.

Hi Weedwacker.
my '84 came from the factory with that same exhaust system.
What I did to improve it's exhaust note was to shove a yard-length of rebar into each muffler and pound on it with a BFH to knock the interior endcap open.

View attachment 193625 View attachment 193626 My 1976 XS650C is nearly done and looking for a black muffler that will go with my stock wrapped headpipes. I'd like something with a tunable or repackable baffle that is not tinny, raspy sounding or crazy loud. Looking for a low deep tone.
The emgo 17" 84038B looks interesting but is hard to find. The 19" slash cut would be just the right look and length, but maybe too loud with a 1 3/4" straight through baffle. I kinda prefer the looks of the emgo 20" 84052B but it's a non removable baffle and is only a 13/16" inside diameter, straight through type. Maybe too small for a XS650?

For the meantime I've got a set of special exhaust that I got at a swap meet over 30 years ago, but their in rough shape and got some rust holes in the bottom. Bike runs good and sounds nice. Carbs are rebuilt and jetted good for the special exhaust and XS pod filters. Anyone out there have experience with theses 3 emgo mufflers, please share your thoughts.
- Thanks in advance!

Hows this?---->

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/prod...r3YnCcsXB9umMaRY5N2Fo3frZU5an-JxoCcMcQAvD_BwE

Yes unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. I know if I was to settle for chrome mufflers that would open up a lot more options. Thanks !

Hi Weedwacker,
OTOH every Canadian paint shop and hardware store stocks rattle-cans of matte black BBQ paint.
A quick fizz-over will hide the chrome and is easily re-applied at need.

Back