Noidea

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sup guys been a while. I took my tx650 engine out and apart replaced rings,valves camchain guide and gaskets from the versah gasket set. When I put the camshaft in I placed the punch mark on the right side (threaded part on the right) of the engine at 12 0'clock relative to topdeadcenter. Its not supposed to be the other way as far as i understand. I placed everything in proper position. When adjusting valves before putting the engine in the frame I noticed that when I feel for play it happens on opposite sides, meaning when i put engine in TDC the rear left valve and the front right valve are open and can be adjusted and when i turn the engine over the opposite happens ( front left and rear right) I thought that was strange cause it was usually 1 side of the cylinder at a time. Than i did compression test and realized that get no numbers. I understand you need to have clutch installed which I did and the kick start assembly in the proper position which it is. I put the engine in the frame with just 2 bolts holding it in so i can check compression and Nothing. I just wanted to be sure of my compression efore i started to try to run it. so which situation is my problem? is it
A) the position of the camshaft?
B) Incorrect valve sequence adjustment?
C) I actually have no compression cause i took the head off twice and the head gasket is fucked
D) none of the above

Please explain for the following good luck everybody. I'll let you all leave class early when your done with your quiz ^_^

.... punch mark..right side of cam chain sprocket... should be at 9 o'clock... and split in the middle, as seen... with the edge of the casting... left side of the sprocket.. the cut groove..should be at 12 o'clock.... adjust cam chain adjuster.. rotate the pistons.. and double ck the time'n marks in relation to the cut groove and punch mark...
it's been awhile.. but I think this is the procedure...

Your memory serves you well, Mike. With engine at TDC, slot on left is at 12:00, punch marks on right at 3:00 and 9:00. There are many threads on inspecting camshaft timing. Search and you will find.

Back