Multiple questions (cam chain tensioner, crank case?)

vansmetal

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The pic with the screw circled…can I replace the screw with a bolt and do the same with the 4 cam chain tensioner screws? Also, the other pic is where kick start assembly goes…is that suppose to be notched? Thanks for any help!

Engine was almost completely disassembled when I got it…so I’m trying to go through everything as great as I can and keep my mistakes to a minimum.

Attachments

• DACD9820-9E71-497A-95D1-3D3772EB450A.jpeg
    DACD9820-9E71-497A-95D1-3D3772EB450A.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 174A472E-5BAE-4BF9-BD09-543CFF0AFD4F.jpeg
    174A472E-5BAE-4BF9-BD09-543CFF0AFD4F.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 127
Is that a steel insert into the aluminum in picture one.
What has happened ?
Without looked at the design and done the read up on the fastening
? Welding it looks as a poor chance will last
Bolting ? The fit looks fine on the inside so perhaps this is well thought trough
Please tell more.
TIG ??

I have no idea about it being an insert. Definitely doesn’t seem welding in. Here’s a closer pic.

Attachments

• 8132B791-B8FD-40D6-B6B7-0D7B7D7F7FDF.jpeg
    8132B791-B8FD-40D6-B6B7-0D7B7D7F7FDF.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 80
I'd suggest button head allen bolts as an alternative to the cross head (phillips) screws you mention - they will be 6mm x 1.0mm pitch. Torque to 6-7 ftlbs. only. The heads of the allens should be checked for clearance, but I think they'll be fine.

That notch is the stop for kick shaft - normal - though a tad damaged. It could use a little minor smoothing (dressing with a file, sandpaper)

Looks like someone cut something out with a zip wheel
Yes that is how it looks to me also
Cant see if it is on the surface only.

And there seems to be a part broken Off. A Fracture surface

I don't remember how it should look
And if J.P says its OK it might be so.
Just saying .. can be a point to investigate. Can be fine or need a little attention before assembling
Depending on the plan and budget.

1667337393332.png

OK, maybe I can stand to be corrected: last two "enhanced" pics does look like the stop may have been "removed":umm: The dark circled area in post #1 should be a raised boss area - I'll see if I can get a proper pic. Has it been removed and ground flush with the hole for the kick axle??

OK, maybe I can stand to be corrected: last two "enhanced" pics does look like the stop may have been "removed":umm: The dark circled area in post #1 should be a raised boss area - I'll see if I can get a proper pic. Has it been removed and ground flush with the hole for the kick axle??
I got it this way and the kicker assembly was already removed. I would need to locate kicker assembly in parts box. No idea other than the pic I provided shows.

I don't have a motor apart ATM and no good pics, but found this in another thread. The stop is barely pictured and the case is oriented upside down: help?
kicker stop spring boss.png

Looks about like mine. I got on YouTube and couldn’t find anything but on eBay from what I can tell…they look like this pic basically or like the one I provided. I’ll try to find starter assembly tomorrow and match it up to get a better understanding of how it meshes.
I don't have a motor apart ATM and no good pics, but found this in another thread. The stop is barely pictured and the case is oriented upside down: help?
View attachment 228893

I have also googled ..and it appears that the lines that looks as a cut in the metal is Factory spec

Unusual for the quality standard otherwise on the bike and time period in Japan

1667376994108.png

O
I have also googled ..and it appears that the lines that looks as a cut in the metal is Factory spec

Unusual for the quality standard otherwise on the bike and time period in Japan

View attachment 228915
Pretty interesting to me… what got me into deciding to build a xs650 is watching some Japanese dudes build some quality choppers…so I figured I could not go wrong going down this path…

I'd suggest button head allen bolts as an alternative to the cross head (phillips) screws you mention - they will be 6mm x 1.0mm pitch. Torque to 6-7 ftlbs. only. The heads of the allens should be checked for clearance, but I think they'll be fine.

That notch is the stop for kick shaft - normal - though a tad damaged. It could use a little minor smoothing (dressing with a file, sandpaper)
I have found some allen head bolts, but what about the 2 cam chain tensioner screws that have a shoulder. I have looked everywhere for a button head allen bolt with a shoulder and can't seem to find. I'm assuming it's necessary for alignment of the pivot arm/ cam chain tensioner.

Yes you are correct the shoulder is needed for alinement. Aftermarket tensioners come supplied with new screws, you may be able to source them from someone who has replaced the tensioner.
Another idea is to buy a longer cap screw with a shoulder and cut the thread down further until you get the correct shoulder depth then cut the screw to length. I can post the dimensions if you want them.

Yes you are correct the shoulder is needed for alinement. Aftermarket tensioners come supplied with new screws, you may be able to source them from someone who has replaced the tensioner.
Another idea is to buy a longer cap screw with a shoulder and cut the thread down further until you get the correct shoulder depth then cut the screw to length. I can post the dimensions if you want them.

Well, the way it’s looking is I’ll just have to be careful with those 2 screws…luckily I didn’t foul up the heads on those like the others but I’m trying to avoid it. I thought about buying longer cap screws with shoulders but the only thing I can find is actually shoulder bolts that have the bigger head and I think the cap screw was used for clearance. Thanks for the suggestion and no need for dimensions…much appreciated

I have found some allen head bolts, but what about the 2 cam chain tensioner screws that have a shoulder.
I have not found button heads anything but "fully threaded" regardless of length. Partial threaded cross head screws used to be common over a certain length (~35-40). Anyways, the OEM screw does not appear to be shouldered, but rather partially threaded. Perhaps measure the diameter of the shank below the head. (part number in pic)
screw-256122480000_medium9014906009-02_d7a7.jpg

Shouldered allen screws are available in different configurations, but the shoulder on a 6mm is 8mm in dia to a certain depth. You'll need to verify the hole would accept that.
40703_source_1668783725.png

Back