MX bars, Amazon hand guards and Harley knock off mirrors.

XsJosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Messing around with bars and such, trying to help with keeping my hands warmer, my elbows less sore and, my none stop search for mirrors that I like. The bars seem comfortable, the guards seem to work against the wind. The mirrors are just about useless. Might try to bend the stems down a little, or try my bar end mirrors on a similar set of bars with open ends.
20210413_194556.jpg 20210413_175342.jpg 20210413_175252.jpg
Don't really care for the pad.

Where did you get the hand guards? Want them for my SR500 scrambler build.

The later 650's use rectangular mirrors that work better than the early rond ones. Don't vibrate as much and a better view behind you. You can find simular units in both black and chrome online.
Leo

how far are you riding that thing that a pair of gloves doesn’t cut it?? Or you got some crazy weather???
When I bought my XS in early spring 2010, I rode it home from Moss, Norway, via Horten and Oslo, Norway, to Tromso Norway where I live. Some 1800-1900 km in snow, rain and frost for the most part. This was around 7th-10th of May. I would guess the warmest temperature of the whole trip was +5C (around 40F)
The single best piece of kit for that trip was handlebar muffs. Absolutely superb gear, I could use thin summer gloves when I fitted those muffs.
Something like these: https://www.biltema.no/en-no/car---mc/mc/styling/handlebars/universal-handlebar-muffs-2000020295

When on any longer trip, these are always in the tank bag.

When I bought my XS in early spring 2010, I rode it home from Moss, Norway, via Horten and Oslo, Norway, to Tromso Norway where I live. Some 1800-1900 km in snow, rain and frost for the most part. This was around 7th-10th of May. I would guess the warmest temperature of the whole trip was +5C (around 40F)
The single best piece of kit for that trip was handlebar muffs. Absolutely superb gear, I could use thin summer gloves when I fitted those muffs.
Something like these: https://www.biltema.no/en-no/car---mc/mc/styling/handlebars/universal-handlebar-muffs-2000020295

When on any longer trip, these are always in the tank bag.

you guys both got me beat! Haha.

it gets down in the 30s at night here but it’s pretty much 65-75F year round.

We'll I changed the bars to a very similar set that would accept bar end mirrors and swapped my bar ends back on. Got to test out the hand guards today, 42F with a stiff breeze doing 45-50 and even hit some rain on the way home, hands stayed ok even with just my summer gloves. 20210418_131113.jpg 20210418_200919.jpg

I have been loving mine as well, the one thing I'll suggest is to add thread locker to the through bolts that sandwich the plastic. Mine vibrated loose but luckily are right there in view so I didn't loose any pieces. I suggest these to anyone having trouble with cold hands.

I added a little 10° bend to the mount brackets, to better conform to the deflectors curvature. Then, instead of using the goofy supplied o-rings, punched-out some larger rubber washers for a more solid mounting. The screws/nuts seat better now...

Back